♫ Chapter Six: History ♫

<< History repeats itself. >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<<Date: May 2035>>

As the children of Grace Field ran about in the fields and forest, one child stayed within the comfort of the walls. The orphanage, usually so loud and chaotic, was now tranquil.

One soft yet clear voice rang out in the silent hallways, singing in an unknown language. It was accompanied by the gently tinkling of a music box.

A 7-year-old Marin peered curiously from behind the doorway of the nursery. His best friend was taking too long to put [Name] to sleep. His lips curled into a pout when he saw her, still cradling the baby and singing to her, even though it was obvious [Name] was asleep.

"Ari!" he whisper-shouted, trotting over to the girl. Arianna, a 10-year-old girl with (h/c) pigtails, barely spared him a glance. Marin blew a raspberry. "Why do you spend more time with [Name] than with your best friend?"

A look of guilt made its way on Arianna's face, but she continued to sing. Marin threw himself onto the couch next to her, crossing his arms childishly. Arianna smiled knowingly.

Many minutes flew by before Arianna finished singing. Finally, she placed [Name] back in her crib. Marin stood up, stretching. Arianna fixed him a stern look.

"You know you shouldn't be in here," she scolded lightly. Marin shrugged, rolling his eyes.

"Whatever. I can break a few rules to see you," he said uncaringly. Arianna drew a breath.

"Mom's going to yell at you again," she warned. Marin blew at a stray strand of hair.

Arianna sighed in disappointment. Marin laughed merrily.

"Anyways," he said, quickly changing the subject as the two walked out of the nursery. "What's with you spending more time with [Name] than me?"

"She's a baby, Marin," Arianna explained. "She requires more attention than you."

"So you're saying that if I dumbed myself down enough, you'll pay more attention to me."

"Wha- That's not how it works, Marin!"

"Buh wuh buh wuh, wAHHHHH!!" Marin mimicked. Arianna rolled her eyes, giggling softly. She pushed him playfully.

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry, okay?" she said. "Geez."

Marin tapped his chin thoughtfully. "Hmmm... I think I'll forgive you if you sing to me."

Arianna sighed. "Alright, alright. The usual place, then?"

Marin nodded happily, skipping down the hallways.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Marin remembers that day more than anything. How he and Arianna had danced together in the clearing. How her song and his dance matched up completely. How he thought that nothing could go wrong.

How mistaken he was.

It was Arianna's adoption day.

Like everyone else, he congratulated her, hugged her, and rattled off about whatever they would do once outside. Imagine his confusion when he was dragged off into her room for something she refused to say.

"Ari? What are you doing?"

Arianna didn't respond. Her hands went behind her neck as she unclasped the chain link around it. She took a step towards Marin, looping the chain around his neck and connecting the link once more. Marin looked down in bewilderment. This was Arianna's most treasured possession. Something that she had had since birth.