Chapter two

Playlist: Call me - Blondie

###

''Babe, I had no idea that your work is not a gaming dealer but a player. That's nuts. I can't even express how excited I am. Damn, I can't wait!'' She finally finished her speech.

I looked at her trying to hide my smile. When I was 17 I needed my own money because my parents controlled the way I spend their own. So, I decided to work as a waitress in a local restaurant. My parents' reaction was indescribable. At first, I was lectured about the way I should behave and then that it is not the way they raised me. It's not my level and yada yada yada. They started to give me more cash but they still controlled it. If they didn't like the things that I bought, they could simply return them to the shop. Embarrassing, right?

Last summer when we celebrated the birthday of a person that I didn't even know, we decided to visit a casino. Well, not like a real one but it was really fun that night. Some dudes had a basement and they needed money, that's how they came up with this ''casino''. I have to confess that it was very profitable, they didn't have to pay tax, it made their income bigger. Usually, some old men visited this place. They didn't have millions in their bank accounts, so they had a hope to win some bucks.

As you can guess, they lose all the time.

I was hammered and could barely think straight but I remember I was hanging out with one guy and we even played poker together. I was surprised when I was the one to win this game because I had never played before. Charlotte is always supportive but that night she told me that I won just because I was a new one and I was lucky.

All I could respond to her was, ''Yeah, you are probably right.''

But I fell in love with the atmosphere.

The smell of hard liquor and cheap cigarettes, and only God knows how much do I hate those cigarettes, maybe because my boyfriend smokes them, but I'm not gonna tell you about him yet. That is the thing I hate about that illegal casino. When I was sitting at that table eagerly waiting for everybody to bet, I felt the adrenaline rushing through my blood. I was amused by the things I felt, it wasn't typical for me.

I could easily smell the fear from those people. They were terrified of losing. I couldn't understand why they were so scared of this. I thought they should be happy because they were able to feel emotions no matter whether they were happy ones or not. Money is just paper.

There are a lot of examples in history when money destroyed everything, people wanted to earn all of it, knowing that it's not possible. They usually forgot to live. They just existed with one goal - to earn money, no matter in what way.

Idiots, aren't they?

I liked to look into people's eyes as if I was able to see their naked souls, miserable souls. I could feel every single emotion they were feeling right at that moment.

Later I realized that the things I felt, brought me a lot of happiness that night.

Well, I was carried away a little bit, let's get back to that man. When I bet each one of them I could see something was on his mind as if he was thinking about me. I clearly remember the things he had told me later.

''Someone is lucky today, good job, darling.'' He said in a funny tone while his left hand tried to hug my waist.

''Seems like that, newcomers are always one step ahead, I suppose,'' I replied, and only later realized that I was flirting with him and smiling all the time I was around him.

He looked straight into my eyes and I immediately felt shivers down my spine. He had the appearance of a confident, well-educated, rich man. His hair was blond and perfectly suited to his blue eyes. Clothes - it's something that he was so proud of. He was wearing a round-neck shirt with a pair of jeans and a jacket over the shirts to complete the look. The watch on his left hand made him look more dashing! He inspired people with his fashion. It made him feel comfortable and confident with this power.