3. The Party Has Started

I drove to the location that Milko sent.

A hotel and casino?

I went inside and stood in the lobby while looking for Milko, but I saw Alyssa instead.

"Where's Milko?" I asked. Alyssa approached me and greeted me with two kisses on each side of the cheek. Another form of greeting that I'll never get used to. Alyssa doesn't usually do this to others, but she knows I hate it. That's why she still teases and annoys me.

"He was talking to the detective we hired," she replied.

Alyssa Lee Baugh is a successful fashion designer of her own fashion brand, who came from a rich Korean American family that owns several department stores and clothing factories. She's a tall slender woman, standing at 5'10. She could be a model herself. Alyssa is clever, mysterious, and often serious at times. Although she can be impatient, Alyssa is a reliable friend. She has short black straight hair, black eyes, and fair skin. Alyssa is wearing a round neck clay gray with a purple stretch cotton poplin dress that has a button closure at the front that gives a psychedelic motif and dyed effect, matched with a high heeled shoe in patent leather.

"Emi! You're finally here!" Said the familiar voice. I looked around and saw a man wearing a silk crepe shirt with a self-tie, print wool mohair jacket, flair trousers, round frame sunglasses, cognac and white interlocking loafer approaching.

Milko.

No one can rock masculine and feminine floral clothing look as good as he does.

"So...She's here," I said.

"Yeah. After months of looking. This is it." Alyssa added.

"Let's go." The slight shift in my voice shows the seriousness and tension we all of a sudden felt. The three of us stared at each other in the eye.

Remembering how it all started for the three of us.

Flashback:

"Come in," I said.

A 6 footer English man of African descent wearing a slim-fit, half-canvas, wool-cashmere suit came into the room. He has short dark curly hair, black eyes, and dark brown skin. Curtis, late Nic's financial advisor and good friend.

"Yes? I was told that you asked for me?" Curtis said as he entered the room of my private study.

"I did. I need to ask you a favor, Curtis, but I want this to be only between you and me." I said softly. Curtis sat down on the vacant chair in front of me.

"I know this is out of your scope of work. And really, right now, I know you're the only person I can count on when it comes to this matter." I added as Curtis continues to look at me. I poured him a glass of wine and placed it on the table in front of him.

"Curtis, I can trust you with everything. Right?" I asked as I held the glass of wine. I continued to stare at him, looking for assurance.

Curtis has always been my go-to person. He is someone I know I could trust and always rely on. He is kind-hearted and would do everything for the people he values and cares for. Despite him being in his 50's, he can communicate and understand anyone regardless of their age and differences. I see him as my mentor and friend. He is one of the people I look up to when things go wrong.

"You can trust me, Emi. Even when Nic is gone, you have to remember that I'm still your personal advisor and now as your guardian. I worked for Nic for more than 20 years of my life. And now I work for you. But most importantly, Emi, I'm your friend," he said reassuring me.

"Curtis, you don't work for me. You work with me. We're a team. Remember?" I said with a smile. He smiled back as if saying he agrees with me.

Seriousness formed on his face when he said "Tell me, Emi. What can I do?"

"I want you to find out every person that has any sort of trouble or issue with the Mortenson's. Whether it's just with Anthony or his parents. I don't really care." I replied. Curtis looked at me. Confirming that he understood very well what I meant.

"If Nic was here, he would want me to help you. You know?" he said. I nodded.

"But he isn't. And we both know why." Curtis added.

"It's the Mortenson's. Anthony and his family. How can my heart, filled with love, be filled with so much hate?" I looked at Curtis' eyes looking for an answer. I've never felt this lost before. I needed answers. Why things happened. I needed to know why.

"How much time do I have?" he asked.

"I want this as soon as possible. Possibly before the 'birthday party." I answered, holding back my tears.

"Can you do it?" I asked. Curtis didn't answer, instead, he stared at his watch. Contemplating what to say. He opened his mouth to utter the words that I will never forget.

"Anything to destroy the Mortenson's, Emi. Anything."

It was clear that he aims to get the job done.

---

A few days later, Curtis delivered as promised. He handed me the photos, list, and profile of each person that had an issue with Anthony and his family. I saw names and instances that caught my attention.

Highlighted were the following:

Milko Lipking - was sued by Anthony Mortenson for unjust vexation, which tarnished the good reputation of Milko Lipking to his family and damaged his growing online following.

Alyssa Baugh had an issue with the Mortenson Interior design, which Anthony led, that caused delays for the debut of her fashion brand which affected other people and their businesses, resulting in bad publicity.

The easiest targets are Milko Lipking and Alyssa Baugh. They are both young and came from wealthy families and both have a personal grudge with the Mortensons. I could easily befriend them and make a plan against Anthony and his family.

This is perfect.

"Curtis, send them an invitation to my birthday party. I want to meet them." I demanded while I checked the rest of the list.

"As you wish," he replied.

We both smiled at each other because we knew that the party had already started.

End of flashback

Ever since I found out that Anthony is dating someone else, as part of my revenge on Anthony and his family, I promised myself that I will make sure to ruin everything for them. I suspected that his new girl could also be the reason why he left. Now with my new found friends Alyssa and Milko, we will do everything we can do to bring the Mortenson family down. Even if it means including an innocent girl in the story.

***

Note:

The story takes place in the contemporary world at a residential enclave similar to Bel-air. The main protagonist, Emi Bauman, previously named Emily Cavanaugh, lives in the most expensive property. A 100,000 square foot mega-mansion, with a gym, a car garage that can fit 30 cars, a bowling alley, a nightclub, a room with tanks of live jellyfish lining the walls, an indoor and outdoor pool, along with its other luxurious amenities.

Other characters such as the Mortenson's and Ferri's reside in Pacific Palisade. While Monks and Cleary live in Encino. Lipkings and Baugh reside in Beverly Hills. Walton and Frances live in Calabasas, and the Brens lives in Stowe, Vermont.