33. A Castle Built On Lies II

Emi's POV:

Everything is a mess after the scene I made at Anthony's birthday party. I couldn't forget the look on his face that day. It was like he was confused and wants to say something about it, only he wasn't given a chance to speak up.

Seeing Elizabeth looking after Anthony hurts me. It made me realize that I do have feelings for her. She must be disappointed with the scene I caused. I still have hopes that maybe we can meet one last time and I could explain to her why I did what I did.

I came back to work as I've been busier than ever. Acquiring properties gave me more work than usual. Good thing I have good employees and Curtis helps me out.

I heard a knocked on the door.

"Ms. Bauman, you have a visitor waiting for you." Claire said as she went in my office.

"Hmm? I'm not expecting anyone today. I'm occupied. Please let the other person know I have no time today and schedule a meeting instead." I said as I continue to scroll down on my calendar from my phone, checking if I have an appointment with someone important today.

"Alright. I shall inform Mr. Mortenson. Please excuse me." She said.

"W-wait! Mortenson..who?"

"Mr. Anthony Mortenson is at the lobby waiting for you." Claire answered.

Anthony? What are you even thinking? To go yourself instead of sending someone else. How important is this for you?

I took a deep sigh.

"Fine. Let him in right away." I answered and stood up looking out from the window with a pen on my hand pressed on one side of my cheek.

Anthony shortly entered. I turned around and stare at the handsome man standing in front of me.

"I know you're busy so I will make it quick." He said.

I scoff. "Anthony. You haven't changed one bit. I assume you want to say something to me? If you're here to beg and ask me to show a bit of mercy then you're only wasting your time. You may now leave." I walk towards him and stood closer.

"Elizabeth.. You knew I was in a relationship with Elizabeth. You befriended her to get back at me, right? You wanted to use her for information."

I bit my lip as soon as he mentioned her name.

So he found out. I bet he had us investigated.

"What's your source?"

"Is that what's more important right now? You used Elizabeth!" Anthony said raising his voice.

"Huh! Like you're any different!? I know you're only with her for business reasons. You're a puppet to your family. You don't love her! So don't act all high and mighty here Anthony. You don't have the balls!" I yelled back.

"And what?! Do you?!"

"Do I..what?" I asked.

"Do you love Elizabeth?" He asked.

"I admit. At first I befriended her for those exact reasons you just said. That makes me no different than you. But as time goes by..I get to know her. So yes.. I do love Elizabeth. But not in a way you're thinking. I love and care for her..beyond friendship. I truly love Elizabeth. And it pains me...because in the end, what I did caused a rift between our friendship."

"...."

"I thought getting my revenge will make me feel better. But after seeing Elizabeth's cold distant face..I can't help but regret it. If only I thought of executing everything better. Why does it have to be you Anthony? Do you have any idea how it feels?"