9. And So It Begins

Mateo and I went to Elizabeth's art exhibit. We roamed around the entire place, but couldn't find Elizabeth anywhere near. Even though I have seen her artwork before, it never ceases to amaze me how truly talented she is. She is artistic and someone I aspire to become.

I don't know, but there is something about her that intrigues me.

She seems like someone I want to be friends with.

What is going on in that beautiful mind of hers? What and who inspired her? Just as how she inspired me. What is with you Elizabeth?

Bored and tired of waiting, Mateo and I sat down at the bench. I continued to stare at the artwork.

"Emi?" Matteo asked as he looked at the ceiling and quickly glanced at me.

"Hmmm?" I said.

"Tell me... What is it with her? You seemed obsessed with this painter. We could have just left already but you wanted to see her in person. Why?" he asked.

Mateo... I wish I knew the answer. But I don't.

"Is it because she's beautiful? Or..." he asked.

"Oh... so you do agree she's beautiful?" I teasingly asked back.

"Well...she's okay. I mean..." he answered. I jokingly rolled my eyes back at Matteo.

"Oh, c'mon," I said.

"I got my eye on someone already, you know..." he softly said. He looked away, seemingly shy about bringing it up.

"Omg. Are you...blushing? Really?" I said teasing him more.

I wonder who? Lucky girl.

"Do I know her? Have I met her?" I asked. Matteo seemed hesitant to answer. He refuses to answer and keeps on looking away from me.

"I do know her! Don't I? Mateo! Tell me who!" I demanded moving closer to him. The more I get closer, the more he blushes.

"Is it Janice? The one that works at Starbucks? Is it Janice?" I asked more. Mateo just keeps on smiling.

"It's Janice! Isn't it? Mateo, I knew it! Look at you! You're so red. Blushing much? Remember when you asked for her number one time? I didn't know you actually would." I teased him even more.

"Cmon, you know you can tell me!" I added. I continued to look at him waiting for an answer.

"Mateo...any woman would be lucky to have you. You know that, right?" I asked him. He looked back at me. His eyes widened. A smile appeared on his face.

"You...mean that..?" he asked, finally facing my direction, looking me straight in the eye.

"Of course! I would know. You're like my older brother, Mateo." I replied. I don't know if I said the wrong thing because as soon as I said that, the expression on Mateo's face changed. He still tried to smile back at me.

Maybe I went too far this time. I have to say something or else this will get awkward. I shouldn't have been pushy. Did it go well with Janice? I never actually asked him what happened. I didn't know Janice would be Mateo's type. She is pretty and sweet, but she seemed...too extroverted for Mateo's liking. I wonder what kind of girls Mateo even likes? And wait...why do I even wonder?

Think, Emi...Think. What should I say? I have to talk about something else. I don't want this to ruin the mood. Yeah, it is probably Janice that he likes, otherwise, why would the sadness appear in his eyes after I said something about it?

"It's more than that," I answered as I stared at the floor.

"Huh?" Mateo said.

"You asked me why I wanted to see her in person if it's because she is beautiful, but no. It's more than that. I don't really know why..." I replied. Mateo didn't say anything after that. There was silence for a while.

"You wanna head outside? We can always come back, you know? Let's get in the car. I have something to tell you" Mateo suggested completely dropping the topic earlier.

I nodded and the two of us went out. As we walked near the parking lot I saw a familiar car. My attention was on it the entire time as I got in Mateo's car.

I remember seeing that car before. But where? I asked myself.

It's the same car Milko, Alyssa, and I followed the other day. I paused for a while to think. Where have I seen that car? Whose car was it?

Anthony!

Could it be...? What is he doing here?

My attention was focused on Anthony, that I didn't notice the woman who approached him.

He still looks as nice as ever, more mature looking now, but definitely still a sight to see. He is much taller now. Compared to what I remember. His height is most likely alround 6'4-6'5. With his brown hair, hazel eyes, and well-built body. Anthony is wearing a striped poplin shirt, triangle patterned silk tie and slim tapered polo trousers.

He handed the woman a bouquet of roses and opened the door for her. The elegant-looking woman is wearing an orange A-line tank dress, gold double leaf earrings, Ruby asymmetric sandals, and holding an O-chain wallet finished with a gold chain strap. She must be the woman Anthony replaced me with.

Who could she be?

They were going inside the car. But before the woman got inside, I saw a glimpse of her face.

Elizabeth Ferri.

I kept on staring at how beautiful she is. I couldn't even compare myself to her. She's...way out of anyone's league. The more I look at her the more beautiful she becomes. I can't help but stare. All she does is exist and be herself. No wonder no one can resist her. She's so inviting that I suddenly thought of wanting to be friends with her.

What's the meaning of this? Anthony? Elizabeth? Does that mean...?

Mateo noticed how focused I was on what was happening in front of us.

"Uhm, one more thing that I wanted to tell you, Emi.." Mateo said.

"I figured it was better to tell you here where we are far from the art exhibit and everything else because..." he continued.

My conversation with Mateo was cut short when I received a call from Milko. I picked up the call without looking away from their car.

"Elizabeth Ferri! Li Fey is Elizabeth Ferri! Anthony is dating Elizabeth!" Milko said excitedly on the phone.

I hung up without saying anything. I have never felt so speechless in my life. I felt envy and jealousy, but what concerned me most was the confusion. Was it envy and jealousy to Elizabeth for being with Anthony? Or was it to Anthony...? For having Elizabeth...?

***