25. The Present Called The Present II

After what felt like a heart to heart talk with Elizabeth, I quickly called Mateo as soon as I got home. I asked him to meet up and help me think about what gift to get for Elizabeth. Mateo agreed, and said he will pick me up tomorrow as he knows just the right spot where I could buy a gift.

The following day Mateo called me telling me to head downstairs. Curtis saw me on the way as I exit the main front door.

He looked at me from head to toe.

"Hmmm. Looking good. Going on a date?" He teasingly said.

"Mateo." I answered.

"Oh. So it's not a date then." He said.

"Hey! That's mean. Does it mean when she spends time with me it can never be considered as a date?" Mateo said as he walks towards me to assist me get in the car.

"Oh c'mon. You know what I mean." Curtis replied.

I looked at the both of them and said "what does that even mean? Curtis, for all you know I could be marrying Mateo or something in the future."

Curtis laughed "Please. I'd like to get an invitation."

I don't know if I'm just dense or what, but I felt as if there's a hidden meaning between what they were saying.

"Well, enjoy the date, lovers." Curtis smiled and winked. He closed the door. Mateo and I got in the car. He will be the one driving. Mateo helped me with my seatbelt.

Mateo has always been attentive to me. Even if he doesn't have to do it. He treats me well regardless.

"So...why didn't you clear everything up to Curtis? That I was just helping you pick a present? And it wasn't a date?" Mateo asked as he faces forward.

"Just let it. It's funny." I said. It was silent for a while. It was like Mateo was expecting me to tell him a different answer.

Was he disappointed? But, why..? Would he really want for the two of us to date? No... that would be impossible. He never showed me any interest ever since. But...what if?

Should I ask him?

"What are you thinking?" Mateo asked.
"Nothing. Just about which present to get for Elizabeth."

I didn't want to say much. And it was as if Mateo knew just what to do.

He put on music the entire ride. He played my favorite songs. It's like he made an entire playlist just for me.

I chuckled.

"What?" He asked.

"Every song you played are all the songs I like. I even thought you made a playlist for me. Am I delusional or what?" I laughed.

"Yeah.." he said.
"Yeah what?" I asked. I turn my head to face a serious looking Mateo while drives, as I wait for his answer.

"Yeah, I made a playlist for you. It's all the songs I heard you play or listen to ever since I met you."

He glanced at me and smiled. I couldn't say anything. I had to quickly look away. It was really sweet.

"What? Is it weird?" He asked.

I smiled, my head facing forward. 

"Now you're just teasing me." I said.

Shut up. This is confusing me..

"No..not at all." I quietly added.

I looked outside the window. I saw my face in the side mirror. I was blushing.

Damn. Who knew Mateo could be this sweet? Do you want me to lose my sanity or what?

We arrived in an art gallery. Mateo helped me get off the car. I looked at him and said

"Guess you really did your research. How did you know?"

"Well..Elizabeth is a painter after all. I read her interview in one of popular magazine. She was asked about her modern favorite painter. And it just so happened that there are painting for sale here. Thought it would make her happy to get a hold of these." Mateo answered.

"Mateo..you're the best. I think if you have a girlfriend, you would have been the best boyfriend anyone can have." I said.

"I know right. So why don't you be my...?" He softly said.

"What?" I asked.
"Nothing. Let's go." Mateo answered as he walks ahead of me.

What was that?

I asked to myself. I quickly followed him.

We went inside and was amazed by the instalments shown by the artist. No wonder why Elizabeth adores the art of this painter.

We were welcomed by the art gallery manager and her assistant who showed us around. Mateo and I inspected each art pieces.

"So...which one would you like to purchase?" Mateo asked.

"Hmmm they are all good. I want all of them." I said.
"Have them ready for Elizabeth. I'll buy them all." I added.

The art gallery manager was in shock.

***

A/N;

Posting this coming Sunday. Might include the playlist they were listening to in the car.