024. images of the past

twenty four

twenty four.
IMAGES OF THE PAST

The day seemed grayer, a foreboding feeling creeping upon everyone in the compound. A day of loss had passed for countries around the world, guilt pulling at the bottom of each of the heroes hearts. When people mourn tragedy it can be felt all around the world, but today it feels that the center of guilt is the Avengers Compound. Hearts lie heavy, and despite responsibilities, Hallie doesn't have the urge to drag herself out of bed, or out of her room. And despite the fact that she can hear the sound of the TV giving a report on what happened, she can't bare to look at it, knowing the footage that she would see displayed across it.

"It was just an accident," Harley reassured his sister lightly. "They aren't telling it how it is. If it hadn't been for Wanda hundreds, possibly thousands more would be dead to a suicide bomber." His face glitched slightly on the computer screen she had open, the blue light shining on her face after she'd answered his call only moments before.

Just an accident. She knew that part to be true. And what he said was true. But not in the eyes of the public. For everyone else, fifteen lives were lost and it was the Avenger's fault. Their fault. Her fault.

"It's not as simple as that, Harley." Hallie said, shaking her head. "That's not what they see. People died. That's what they see."

"That shouldn't be━"

"Things don't always work out the way they're supposed to." Hallie reminded. "It might not be what we intended. But we have to take responsibility for our actions."

"And how are you going to do that? What are they going to do? Lock away superheroes for just trying to protect people?" Harley asked desperately, trying to get her to see his side of things. Of what happened, but no one would see his side.

Hallie opened her mouth to answer, when someone knocked on the door and she looked up, seeing a face already peeking in. "They are calling a meeting in the conference room." Pietro told her. "Stark's here. And he's brought a friend," his nose scrunched in disgust as he says the word friend, clearly distasteful of whoever it is Tony brought.

"Thanks," Hallie acknowledged, watching him move out of the room, she turned back to her computer screen. "Looks like we're about to find out."

She went to close the computer, when Harley's voice stopped her. "Hal," she hummed in response, tilting it open a fraction so she could see the worried gaze in his eyes. "It's not your fault. Nor is it Wanda's."

Hallie nodded, "Good bye, Harley." Before she closed the computer screen.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective." Secretary Ross tells them, the Avengers, broken and the few that are still on Earth sitting around the table. "The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some. . . who would prefer the word "vigilantes"."