001. i beat a dead man with a baseball bat

『 one

『 one. I BEAT A DEAD MAN WITH
A BASEBALL BAT 』

      𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐒 in the world we live in today. No one is really safe. We can hide behind our fancy security systems and updated technology, we can depend on our heroes for protection. But in the end none of these things can save everyone. Nothing can save our failing world. That's not something people like to hear, but it's the truth. And when people start to figure that out... there's going to be a whirlwind of trouble.

      Hallie never asked for anything other than a normal life. She dreamed of it. Doesn't everyone? Everyone dreams of being their hero. Of being the person that saves everyone. She wanted that once upon a time she thinks... to be different than everyone else. To stand out. To not just be the girl who couldn't afford college and lost both her parents. Life can be a bunch of goose poop. But Hallie guessed you just have to live with that.

      Her mess started not to long ago. When a dead man showed up on my door step. It's a long story after that. One that sounds like it's straight out a dream or a movie. But it isn't. She doesn't make any of it up, after all, you can get the rest of the account from the dead man.

      Ever have the feeling of just knowing something is going to go horribly wrong that day? A gut feeling that is just telling you not to get out of bed. Or it's telling out to get out of bed, get out of the country. That's what Hallie woke up with. And naturally Hallie ignored it. There was nothing to suggest that something was going to go wrong. The weather was perfect, well as perfect as it can get for winter in Tennessee when it was snowing and below freezing.

      The only thing slightly off putting about that day was when Hallie watched the morning news, announcing Tony Stark, billionaire, hero to many, richer that the guy that invented slices bread, was presumed dead after an attack on his mansion a day ago, caught on footage seeing random helicopters fire at the mansion in Malibu California.

      Harley, her younger brother, had begged her to stay home, which she was tempted to agree to but she had then been reminded of the bills that were due soon, and she'd been on her way to work, telling Harley to behave as he didn't have school on Christmas break, reminding him she'd be back late due to running another shift at the seven eleven not far from their house.

       And he did try to be good.

       But then the weirdest thing happened.

       Night had fallen over the small town in Tennessee, and it was so dark you could see the stars glittering and dancing in the sky. Harley was anxiously awaiting his sister's return as he watched cartoons on the small tv in their living room, fidgeting with his hands to keep warm, as Hallie told him to keep the heat down so their heating bill wouldn't be huge.