010. a little late christmas

『 ten

『 ten. A LITTLE LATE CHRISTMAS 』

       THE WEEKS THAT HALLIE HAD STAYED AT THE AVENGERS TOWER WERE QUIET COMPARED TO THE TWO DAYS HER LUFE HAD BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN. Surprisingly she had grown to like it there. Aside from Tony's arrogant self walking around acting like he knew everything (which Harley said he did), it was nice. Like a vacation away from home without any responsibilities. It was meant to be relaxing she knew and she was grateful for it. Pepper had work but Tony, Bruce and Harley had nothing to do so it seemed they were always around. And as a treat and going away present the day before Pepper has asked Hallie if she wanted to go see the company building with her which Hallie had responded with an excited yes too (and she may or may not have nearly shot fire out of her hands).

      Tony's, so called, master of control was the Bruce Banner. He taught her ways to calm herself whenever she felt overwhelmed or angry. Which pretty much included anything and everything that had helped him keep calm. Breathing exercises, meditation, whatever helped. And it was relaxing. And the scientist and the mechanic even let her and Harley sit in the lab, and let her help with any updates they decided to make to technology.

      She had learned that the Vice President has been arrested for aiding the kidnapping of the president and the other acts of terrorism committed, along with Trevor Slattery who had been an actor, playing a part as the Mandarin who seemed quite happy when he was arrested when Harley showed her the video on YouTube. Everything was changing. It had been changing since 2008. Ever since she knocked Tony out with a bat.

      Two weeks after she had been given the news of her... problem, Bruce has deemed it safe that she go back home and probably wouldn't hurt anyone. Thankfully while she had been there, she had been able to use Tony's technology to make a few fire proof outfits, mainly for sleeping but she hoped that it would help. And so they went back home, as thought nothing had ever happened. Harley looked as though he was still trying to process the whole ordeal, overly excited from meeting two Avengers and the Iron Patriot  and being on a first name basis with them.

Upon arriving home, her and Harley had unpacked, their things, Harley pouting the whole time, saddened by the fact they hadn't stayed longer and they were back where they were as though nothing had happened (and she was nearly positive that he was trying to get out of going back to school). Seeing his expression Hallie sighed and told him, "I'll unpack your stuff for you. You can go hang out in the garage, I'll join you in a few minutes."

Immediately Harley's mood brightened and in excitement he said, "Really? Thanks Hal! I love you!" And then he was sprinting out towards the garage, causing Hallie to chuckle, shaking her head and going back into her room to unpack.

      Barely a second after she started unpacking she heard a knocking at her window, and walked over to it, opening the curtain curiously to see a wide eyed ecstatic Harley, trying to say something but she couldn't tell what so she held up a finger and exited the room, heading for the front door and as soon as she opened it she heard Harley's excited voice.

      "Oh my god! It's amazing! You've got to come and see it!" He said, reaching forward and grabbing her hand, and pulling her to the garage.

      "Slow down!" Hallie said, feeling her feet slip on some ice but thankfully stayed standing. She let Harley pull her into the garage and immediately gasped at the sight.

Unlike before, the garage looked... amazing. There were plenty of new updated technology for them to work with, things they couldn't previously afford like a better computer or better lighting sat in the room. Her eyes were immediately drawn to her car which she hadn't seen since Florida and she wanted to run over to it and check that everything was fine and working as she noticed it had been given a paint job and found a part of herself annoyed someone had messed with it but was still pleasantly surprised.

On a table laid a note and next to it her old Dora the Explorer watch she'd gotten from a McDonalds drive thru as though nothing had happened to it. The Potato gun was sitting on the table as well with the note next to it reading:

POTATO GUN
MARK II
YOUR PAL, The Mechanic

She smiled at the sight before frowning as she noticed a paper next to it, glancing over to Harley who was checking out the vending machine set up in the opposite corner of the room causing her to smile before walking over and picking up the paper. Her heart hammered in her chest as she noticed the first word of the paragraph.

Congratulations!

Her eyes scanned the rest of the paper reading the same words she had read once before and placing a happy hand over her mouth, feeling as though she may cry with excitement. She sat in a chair, feeling that if she kept standing she would faint with happiness and her eyes noticed the second note sitting on the table which she picked up a second later.

Not a fan of letters so I'm going to make this short and sweet. I pulled a few strings and got you reapplies for MIT, leaving a good note for you. Everything will be paid for so you don't have any excuses not to go. The kid can also move in with you, you can find a nanny to watch him while you aren't there or something but the kid is twelve so he should be good but I had a nanny until I was sixteen so maybe he won't, who knows. You deserve this kid, so take the chance.

See you around Batty Batsy.

She smiled as she read the letter, feeling more joyous than she ever had in her life knowing she could have the thing she had always dreamed for in life and keep an eye on Harley at the same time. It was no longer impossible anymore. No longer an unreachable dream.

Maybe good can come out of bad things.

( w / c ) : 1077

( a / n ) : another short chapter but it's meant to be like the mid credits so... one more chapter to go!

votes and comments appreciated, have
a good day / night.