Chapter 31 - ... Open Mind (Unedited)

A/N: Hi guys! I just wanted to say thank you for 6k views on this story! :D <3

Hope you enjoy the chapter!

Trigger Warning: Talks of past alcohol abuse.

________________________________________

Colby's POV

Picking up one of the disposable barbeques that we had brought with us, I teared off the plastic packaging before going over to my backpack; opening it and rummaging through until I found my lighter.

Walking out of the tent, I placed the barbeque in the little metal stand that it came with on the ground. I heard a scuffle of feet in the dirt over my shoulder, and glanced up to see Y/N hovering over me.

"How do you light the fire?" Y/N questioned, looking doubtfully down at the pitiful looking tray that I was setting up.

"You just set the bag on fire." I explained as I light the lighter and brought the small flame to the edge of the bag in the bottom of the grill that contained coal and kindling. "There. We have to leave it for a bit for the fire to grow." I told her as I climbed to my feet and brushed my hands off on my jeans.

"How are your cooking skills?" She then asked.

"Okay, but not amazing. What about you?" I replied honestly.

"Well, I do know my way around a kitchen if I must say so myself!" Y/N claimed proudly.

"Great, you're on barbeque duty then!" I laughed.

"Barbeques really aren't that hard, you just cook the food until it's almost burnt!" She giggled, before asking. "Can any of your friends cook?"

"I don't think so, we always order Post Mates when we're together so..." I said with a shrug.

"Really? Not even Sam? He looks like he would know how to cook." She stated.

"Oh god no! He's probably the worse out of all of us!" I exclaimed.

"Actually?" She queried disbelievingly.

"Yeah, he's fucking awful at cooking!" I told her with a chuckle.

"Should I tell him you said that?" Y/N teased.

"Oh he already knows! Kat and I have told him more than enough times!" I joked.

"Poor Sam." She laughed. She then headed over to the cooler that was acting as our freezer, and dug through it for a moment before coming back with a box.

"You want burgers?" She asked.

"Yeah, sounds good!" I nodded. Grabbing a White Claw and plopping down into one of our foldable chairs, I watched and chatted with her as she went about making dinner for us.

Forty minutes later and we were munching on newly cooked burgers courtesy of Y/N.

"How's the food?" She asked.

"Really good, thank you!" I complimented as I hungrily scarfed down the food.

"Hey, can I have one of these?" Lifting my head, I saw her holding up a beer.

"Yeah, help yourself! There's enough there for both of us." I responded, keeping my face straight because I wanted her to feel more comfortable around me and the topic of alcohol as she has clammed up every time when she had started to speak about her past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 hour later...

"No way! Really?!" Y/N shrieked, giggling uncontrollably. The drinks had kept flowing after our first ones; I was on my fifth one while Y/N was on her third and we were already getting a little giddy.