Chapter 16 - Exploration Part 1

Colby's POV

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked Y/N as I watched her peer out of the window at the dense, dark forest around us.

She turned to look at me with an uncertain look. "No." She answered honestly with a small shake of her head.

She glanced back outside, before her eyes met mine again. "But we've come all this way so... Let's go!" She said surely as she opened her door and climbed out of the car.

I smiled as I followed after her. She was a tough girl, and I loved that about her.

"Here, let's grab some flashlights." I said as I went to the trunk of my car. Opening the lid, I rummaged through the junk to find what I was looking for.

"Here." I passed her one of the flashlights after clicking it on to make sure that it was working.

I smiled playfully when I saw the Ouija board sitting innocently in my trunk.

"Should we take this?" I asked jokingly, picking up the board to show her.

"No fucking way, Colby!" I laughed at her annoyed scowl when she realised what I was holding.

"I'm kidding." I chuckled, putting the board back and closing the trunk. "Come on. It's this way." I told her as I shone my flashlight down a trail leading into the woods.

"I feel like we should have a giant talking Great Dane with us." She commented as she fell into step behind me.

"Rut roh, Raggy!" I grinned as I heard her giggling at my Scooby Doo impression.

"It's only about a ten minute walk from here, but there's a few fences to hop on the way." I explained.

"I thought you said that we wouldn't be trespassing!" Turning around to face her, I found her frowning at me.

"In my defence I only said there wasn't any security or anyone living around the area, not that we wouldn't be trespassing." I pointed out, holding my hands up defensively.

"If we get arrested I'm kicking your ass!" She threatened lowly, but I knew that there was no heat behind her words.

"Well you'll be waiting for a long time because I'll be in prison for a lot longer than you with my last charges."

Worry flashed across her face at my statement, and I felt bad. Looking down, I reached out and took her hand in mine, giving it a tight squeeze. "Don't worry, it'll be fine." I told her reassuringly.

"Okay." She replied quietly, gripping my hand back with just as much pressure.

My heart softened at her trusting look, and I promised to myself that I would keep her safe.

Our hands didn't break apart as we continued down the path.

"So what is this place again?" She asked me a little further down the trail.

"It's an old abandoned church. It's the only thing left of a really small village that used to be here." I informed her.

"People lived all the way out here?" She questioned, gesturing to the trees surrounding us.

"Yeah! Apparently the people that used to live in the village were forced to leave after a fire burnt down all of the houses." I explained.

"And the church stayed intact?"

"Weird, right? I don't know how far away the church was from the other buildings, but it couldn't have been that far." I replied.

We spoke quietly as we trekked through the woods for a few more minutes until we reached a ten foot wire fence.