Chapter 13 - Night Out Part 1.

Hey guys! I hope everyone's doing okay!

If you like Brennen you might want to skip the end of this chapter. I haven't painted his character in the nicest way in this chapter, but remember that it's just for the purpose of the story. Don't come at me, haha! :)

Warning: Some cursing in this chapter.

Enjoy!

____________________________________________________________

"I think I got sunburnt." Colby complained as he followed you into his apartment. You had spent all day at the beach, before going to get dinner at Tender Greens upon Colby's insistence.

"I told you to put on sunscreen." You reminded him.

"Sorry mom." He whined, before pulling his tongue out at you.

"How have you survived out here on your own for so long?" You asked while giggling at his childish behaviour.

"I've had Sam to look out for me, he's worse than my mom for worrying sometimes." He explained, making you laugh harder.

"That's because he knows about all the stupid shit I'm sure you get yourself into." You quipped back.

"You're not wrong there." Colby snickered, before adding "hey, my friend Brennen has asked if we want to go out with Kevin and Aryia tonight."

"Yeah, I'm down. I probably won't drink a lot though." You replied

Colby stared at you for a moment, like he was trying to figure something out. "We don't have to go if drinking's not your thing." He said.

"No, it's fine. I just..." You sighed as you thought about how honest you wanted to be with him.

"Just what?" He pushed, his eyes boring into yours. His gaze reminded you of who he was, it was Colby, and the years that the two of you had spent sharing secrets meant that you could tell him anything, even after all this time apart.

"I've kind of had a bad history with alcohol. I've been sober for about a year now, apart from those drinks that I had when I hung out with you and your friends back in Kansas." You explained, averting your eyes to the floor to avoid any judgement. You knew Colby wouldn't judge, but looking away was a habit of yours when it came to telling people about your past.

"I hope you didn't feel pressured to drink because of us." You looked up when he said that, and he gave you a small smile.

"No, it wasn't like that. I feel like I would be able to stop myself now, especially with being away from my ex-boyfriend, he used to be the one to force it on me most of the time." You told him.

Colby's smile turned to a scowl. "I don't like the sound of this guy." There was poorly concealed heat and anger behind Colby's statement, and you blushed at his apparent protectiveness.

"You'd be right not to. He wasn't a very nice person, it just took me a while to realise that." You grimaced.

"I want to go out tonight, Colby. I can still go out and have fun without drinking." You then said.

"Okay." He looked like he wanted to talk more, ask more, but you were glad that he let it lie for now.

"Have I met your friend? Brennen, was it?" You questioned, trying to divert the subject.

"Yeah, Brennen. No, you haven't. He's..." He trailed off for a moment. "A little eccentric, but he's one of my closest friends. Kevin and Aryia will be there too, you remember them, right?"

"Yeah!" You were happy that the two were also coming, as it would be nice to see them again.

"What time are we going out?" You asked.