Bridge

The movie was great, I caught Bucky looking at me a few times smiling. He was acting weird, but I decided to blame it on the fact we were finally back to normal. Well normal for me, dating a former brain washed assassin with a metal arm was my normal. After the movie we took a walk in a small park, it was cute.
"Steve and I used to kick a ball around here," Bucky spoke as we walked, my arm wrapped around his metal one, "we'd play tag sometimes with other kids but wheezy here had asthma."
"Not my fault." Steve said strolling next to me
"Hey, you were always my first pick when we chose teams!"
"You felt bad for me!"
"No- well yeah, but you were one hell of a teammate!"
"Mhm"
I smiled
"What do you think doll? Brooklyn make a good home?" Bucky asked
"Home?"
"Yeah"
"Well I bet it was different in the 40s but I can see why you liked it here, I wish I had a home like this when I was little"
Bucky looked at me
"Where is home for you now doll?"
"The compound is home, with the team, with you"
He kissed the top of my head as we continued walking. We eventually went to a rooftop restaurant, it had cute little twinkle lights above our heads and good music. Everything seemed right, no stress, no mission, no god trying to kidnap me. From the roof we could see the Brooklyn bridge.
"What are you looking at?" Smiles asked
"The bridge, it's pretty cool." I responded as Bucky fidgeted in his seat
"I'm glad you think so, cuz that's our next stop."
Steve looked down and smiled
"Oh yay!" I said smiling
The feeling that Bucky was hiding something came back. He was constantly clenching his jaw and tapping his foot. I held his hand in hopes to calm him down from whatever he was thinking about.
"Are you ok?" I asked concerned
"Y-yeah I'm fine," he smiles as he looked in my eyes "just happy to be here with you"
"Ok weirdo"
I ignored Bucky's nerves in hopes they would go away. Our food was great and the conversations flowed. Steve told us stories about Peggy and his teenage years with Bucky. Imagining the two as teenagers made me grin. As we left the restaurant Bucky grabbed my hand and started walking me towards the Brooklyn bridge.
"Thank you smiles," I said sweetly
"For what?" He asked
"For today, I'm glad I get to see where your from"
"This place seems like such a small part of my life compared to everything that has happened to me"
"Like what?"
"You."
"Me?"
"Yeah, It's hard to remember life without you"
I smiled and turned back to look at Steve but he was gone.
"Where is Steve?"
"Oh uh- he for got something at the restaurant he went back for it, he'll meet us there"
"Ok?"
I was starting to worry. Worry that they keeping things from me again. I wanted to read his mind but I needed to trust him.
As we approached the bridge I noticed the beautiful colors of the sky. The sun had started going down which turned the sky a pretty pink and orange color. The walkway of the bridge was empty except for me and Bucky. I took in the beautiful skyline and Bucky let go of my hand. I turned to him.
"Smiles? Why'd you let go?" I said confused
He slowly lowered himself onto his knee, causing my eyes to grow immediately.
"Y/n-" he started
"Oh god"
"I never thought I deserved someone like you," he grabbed my hand "I never thought I would find someone who could bring out the part of me who smiles everyday. Because of you I want to be better, you have shown me how someone with a dark past can turn themselves around and become stronger."
I began to tear up
"I know it seems fast but you are my light, my hope, my everything," he continued "and I don't know if we will have to battle more gods or evil scientists but I know I want to do it together. I want to wake up to your beautiful y/c/e eyes every morning. I want to hear that contagious laugh every time you find something funny. I want want to watch every 80s movie ever made while your in my arms, because you are my happy ending doll. Will you marry me?"
A tear ran down my face as I tried to process everything he had said
"Yeah! Yes I will!" I beamed
He stood up with glossy eyes and a big grin. He grabbed by cheeks as gave me a kiss.
"Oh my god" I said as he slipped the ring on my finger "we're engaged! I'm a fiancé!"
I couldn't wrap my brain around it, I was going to marry James Barnes!
"Is this what the nerves were about? And Steve disappearing? And all the planning?" I said as a million thought ran through my head
"Yeah," he responded "god I was so nervous, Steve could barley calm me down. I thought I might throw up."
I giggled
"I can't believe it!" I stared at the ring "we are engaged!"
____________________________________Ummm yeah this chapter is a lot but oh well, hope you like it. . . This story is coming to an end soon, which means my other two are going to be updated after it's done! Thanks for reading!❤️