Chapter 5

"Aris?" Sonya says in disbelief, staring at the boy in front of us. "Where have you been?"

"No time to explain." He says. "We've gotta go. Oh, and I've brought some friends, too."

He motions towards the vent, and I watch as five boys scramble out from it one by one, jumping to their feet.

"Girls, this is Thomas, Newt, Winston, Minho and Frypan." Aris introduces, motioning to each of the boys in turn. They offer us a weak smile and a quick wave.

"What. The. Fuck is going on?" Gzi says, throwing her hands up in the air in frustration.

"Language." The blonde boy mutters quietly.

He was the one I bumped into in the supper queue a couple of nights ago.

"Excuse me?" Gzi challenges, taking a couple of steps forward. The boy's face flickers with fear as he steps backwards from the girl.

"Gzi, calm down." I mumble, gently grasping her arm and pulling her back.

"Ok, let's get going." The brunette boy says, who I assume is Thomas.

"Wait, how do you know that these people are WICKED?" I ask Aris.

"Thomas and I snuck into the room earlier and witnessed Janson having a call with Ava Paige, you know, the woman in the video that we saw shoot herself? Well, turns out she's still alive.  They were talking about harvesting kids for the benefit of the human race, or something like that."

"Ok, let's go." Thomas repeats impatiently, already getting down on his knees to start crawling. "We don't have much time."

He disappears under my bed and back into the vent, quickly followed by the other four boys.

"We'll have time for a proper introduction later. Right now, we just need to get out of here." Aris says to me, placing his hand on the small of my back. "You ready?"

Shaking my shoulders, I look him in the eye and nod.

"Let's get out of here."

*******
"Help me out!" Renee cries from the exit of the vent. I turn around and grab her wrists, pulling her up to her feet.

"Ok, everyone here?" Aris asks the group of us, looking up and down the facility's corridor. It's empty for now.

"Yep. Let's get going." One of the boys says- Minho I think?

"We need to get Teresa." Thomas says. "She's in the Med wing."

"Teresa?" I ask, confused at the name.

"She's our friend." The blonde boy explains, running his hands through his hair. "Ok, well let's get a bloody move on."

"You guys go ahead. I need to do something." Aris says, "Renee and Niamh, come with me."

"What? Where are you going?" I say worriedly as they climb back into the vent.

"Getting us out of here." Aris replies bluntly, and before I can question him any further, he disappears back into the dark vent, quickly followed behind by the two girls.

"Come on!" Newt says, gently grasping my upper arm. "We need to get moving."

I run alongside him and follow Thomas as he leads us along the corridors of WICKED'S facility towards the Med Wing.

"I'm Newt, by the way." The boy next to me says as we jog along at the back of the group.

"I'm Y/N." I reply, adjusting my pace slightly to match his.