Chapter 38

Adrenaline pumping through my veins, I ready my launcher as Teresa presses her thumb against the panel, and the doors click open, revealing several guards standing around talking.

"What the-" one of them says, face falling as he sees us.

"Surprise." I say, pulling the trigger. At the speed of light, a metal clamp shoots out from my gun and clamps onto the guard's chest, sending electrical bolts down his convulsing body as it falls to the floor.

The rest of the guards instantly react, but Thomas and Newt are too quick for them, shooting the WICKED guards each in turn before they can even get a single shot out. And in less than a minute of us being in the room, all the guards are down on the floor unconscious.

"Hm, that was easier than expected." I grin, pulling off my helmet and letting my hair fall loosely around my shoulders. Teresa stands by the doors as I run over to the first room, peering in through the window on the door. Inside are about five girls, who sit huddled together on their beds, looking at me with faces full of fear.

"Hey guys!" I say, swinging the door open. "It's alright, you're safe now. Come on!"

The girls stare at me dumbfounded for a moment, but they scramble off their beds and hurry out into the room. The boys go around the rest of the room, swinging open the doors and letting the groups of teenagers out of their dorms. They all scurry out like little mice and huddle together in the middle of the main room, exchanging hushed greetings to each other. My brows furrow under my mask as I scan the group, not seeing the face I want to.

"Where's Minho?" I ask Teresa, who looks frantically around the room for the boy, just as shocked as we are.

"I don't understand." She shakes her head. "Where is he?"

"That's what we're asking you." Newt suddenly snaps, removing his helmet to reveal his sickly, sweaty face. He drops the helmet and launcher to the floor and leans on his hands against the table so hard his knuckles start to turn white as he breaths shakily through his gritted teeth.

"They must have taken him somewhere else." Teresa says.

"Oh bloody perfect." Newt scoffs, pushing himself up from the table. "You said he would be here! What if this is another trap? Are you leading us into something here?"

"Newt, calm down." I say anxiously, going over to him and gently gripping his arm to ease his anger.

"I'm not leading you into anything." Teresa says sternly, "And to prove it, I can find where Minho is right now."

The girl strides over to the computer on the table and starts typing rapidly on the keyboard, her eyes darting across the screen.

"This is where they've got the serum?" Gally calls from the other end of the room, kneeling next to a large metal vault door.

"Yeah, but I'm not high enough in WICKED's hierarchy to have access to the room." Teresa calls back, keeping her eyes focused on the screen in front of her.

"I thought WICKED would boost you pretty high up considering you dogged in all your friends to them and tortured one for six months." Newt mutters beside me. Teresa stops typing for a moment and looks back at the boy, her face unreadable, before she turns back to the computer.

"Newt, stop it." I say quietly, squeezing his arm. Although I don't like Teresa, there wasn't need to be rude to her face when she's trying to help us get Minho back.

"What the hell?" Teresa says in confusion, furrowing her brows together as she examines the computer screen.

"What? What is it?" Thomas says anxiously, peering over the girl's shoulder.

"They've taken Minho to the medical wing." Teresa says, looking back at the brunette boy. "Thomas, that's on the other side of the building."

"You guys go get him." Gally says, retrieving a handheld saw from his bag along with a pair of protection glasses. "I'll get this thing open." He whirs the saw to life, sparks flying off the blade as he begins to saw the door.

"Y/N, stay here and guard Gally with Newt." Thomas demands, beginning to pull his helmet over his head.

"What? Absolutely not." I protest, letting go of Newt's arm. "I'm coming with you."

"Me too." Newt says, using a lot of strength to push himself off the table.

"No, you're not." I say to him, "Newt, you're not in any position to go with them. Stay and guard Gally and I'll go with Thomas and Teresa."

"What no-" Newt begins, but Gally cuts him off:

"Both of you just go! I'll be fine on my own!"

"Ok, both of you come." Thomas says, pulling his helmet down over his face. "We don't have much time."

"Are you sure you're going to be alright for this?" I ask Newt anxiously, watching as he takes deep breaths in and out before lowering his helmet down onto his head.

"Yeah. Yeah I'll be fine." He reassures me just as the exit doors click open, causing some of the children to look anxiously at the corridor outside.

"Alright." I nod, pulling my helmet on and adjusting the grip on my launcher. "Let's go get Minho back."