Chapter 51

"Um, yeah. Ok." Teresa says nervously. She perches on the end of Newt's bed and waits for me to begin speaking.

"Well first off, I should really be thanking you for saving Newt's life." I say, "so thank you so much. I had no idea the Flare was coming back; he didn't even wake me up, just disappeared. And I really... I don't even know what I would do without him here. So thank you."

"Of course. I know how much you love each other." She replies, before bowing her head slightly in embarrassment. "And listen... I'm really sorry about what's happened in the last six months. I don't-"

"Don't worry about it." I cut her off, and her eyes widen with confusion.

"What?"

"Look, obviously I think it's going to take the group, me included, a little while to forgive you and fully trust you again. But I don't want you to apologise for doing what you thought was right. Even though I hadn't known you long before... you called WICKED on us, I could tell you weren't a malicious girl with malicious intentions. You were only trying to save the world, and sadly WICKED's way wasn't the right way to do it. I understand what you were trying to do; I can't say the same for the others in the group however, and honestly there may be times where I may resent you for it, because WICKED took away some of my closest friends who meant more than family to me, but at the end of the day, you're still my family, Teresa. And you've certainly earned some forgiveness for creating a cure and saving Newt. And... I could tell from your eyes standing on the rooftop of WICKED that you weren't going to jump onto the Berg."

"You could?" She says quietly, and I nod.

"I could right there and then that you felt so guilty about what you had done that you weren't going to jump to safety, and I just couldn't have that. You need a chance to redeem yourself, and I didn't want you to die without making amends with us."

The girl doesn't respond, and we sit in a weird silence for a few moments before she sits a little bit straighter, locking her eyes with mine.

"Thank you, Y/N."

"Don't mention it." I reply, smiling slightly at the girl, which she returns.

I hear a quiet groan come from Newt, and I snap my head to see him shift his position slightly, his eyes fluttering open.

"I'll give you two some privacy." Teresa smiles at me, standing up from the end of the bed and walking out of the room, clicking the door shut behind her.

I stand up from my own chair and sit where she had just been sitting as Newt sits up slowly, running a hand through his tangled hair. His tired eyes widen slightly when he notices me.

"Y/N..." he mumbles, and I scoot closer up the bed towards him, swinging my legs up onto the mattress and crossing them so I sit opposite him.

"Are you alright?" I ask him as I scan his face for any lingering veins.

"I'm fine now." He replies, stretching his hand out and taking hold of mine. "Hopefully the cure got rid of any lingering Flare in my body."

I nod in response, squeezing his hand tightly before shifting my eyes up to his. "Why didn't you wake me up? I got the shock of my life this morning waking up without you beside me."

Newt exhales softly and shakes his head slightly. "I'm sorry Y/N, I really am. I woke up not long after we fell asleep, and I could feel the veins coming back, bulging under my skin. Which they were. But I didn't want to worry you with this- you'd already gone through enough yesterday, and this would just add to all of it. Besides, I don't think I could have woken you; you were in a very deep sleep."

I let out a quiet laugh as the boy continues.

"Anyway, I went to Thomas's cabin, woke him up and told him what was going on. I had no idea what was happening, but then he told me that after Minho had knocked me out with the Serum, he went to go get Teresa from WICKED because over the loudspeaker earlier she had said that she had a cure. Obviously I couldn't remember that considering the state I was in, and long story short he got the Cure, along with a bullet to the abdomen caused by Janson, but that's a long story I'm sure he'll tell you. So he took me to Teresa's cabin, said that she had woken up not long ago, and explained what was going on to her. She told me that she could make another batch of cure using Thomas's blood, since what we already had wasn't enough. Thomas gave her some of his blood- apparently his enzymes are special or some klunk like that, I wasn't really listening- and made the cure out of it. And here we are."

"Well, I'm glad you're alright now." I sigh, "but if this ever happens again, please tell me, ok? I don't care how deep of a sleep I'm in. I was so worried this morning, especially after how close you were too.... not making it out alive of the city. I don't want to experience that again."

"I'm so sorry, Y/N." The boy says, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest. "I really didn't mean to scare you- I thought telling you would scare you more. But I promise if this does ever happen again, which hopefully it won't, then you'll be the first to know."

I nod into his shirt and wrap my arms around his torso as he gently strokes the back of my head.

From outside the room I can hear the commotion of muffled voices come into earshot, and suddenly Thomas slams the door open, causing it to nearly fly off its hinges.

"Sorry to interrupt." He smirks at us, "but we have arrived at the Safe Haven."

"What?" Newt and I say in unison, sharing a confused expression between us.

"Come and see for yourself." Thomas says, shifting his eyes to Newt, "and besides, everyone will want to see us."

"Are you alright getting up?" I ask the blonde boy, jumping down from the bed so he can get out of it.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He smiles, throwing the blanket off of him before slowly lowering his feet down onto the floor and standing up.

"Alright, let's go." He says, and Thomas leads us out of the small room and back through the main room towards the door.

"Teresa?" I say, spinning around to face the girl sitting at the table just as the boys walk down the hallway, oblivious to the fact that I'm not following them.

"Are you coming?" I ask her, and she looks over to me, contemplating for a second before shaking her head.

"No. No, I don't think that's such a good idea." She mumbles.

"But they haven't seen you in six months." I reply, slowly walking over to her table and perching on the end of it.

"Yeah, there's a reason for that." She scoffs, avoiding all eye contact with me as she picks up another syringe and begins to wipe it down like she did before.

"Teresa..." I say softly, reaching over and taking the syringe out of her hand before lowering it onto the table. For the first time in this conversation, she finally looks me in my eyes.

"Y/N, they don't want to see me." She whispers, her voice starting to waver. "None of them do. They don't even want me alive here with them."

"That's not true." I say, "because if it was, then we would have left you behind as soon as we got Thomas in the Berg. But we didn't. Hell, even Minho helped out in order to try and save you, so obviously he can't resent you that much."

"I don't know." She begins, but I cut her off instantly.

"Teresa, you can't stay hidden away in this room forever. Sooner or later you are going to have to see them all, so it might as well be now."

She looks back down at the table for a few moments, before exhaling loudly and looking back up at me.

"Alright." The girl says quietly, nodding gently. "Alright. Let's go see them."