Chapter 40

The three of us walk in a line along the med section of the facility, the alarms still blaring as doctors frantically run around, not even acknowledging us.

My eyes scan the corridors to keep any lookout for Minho, when Thomas suddenly stops walking beside.

"Thomas, what are-" I begin, turning around to face him, but my voice trails off when I see who's standing at the end of the corridor.

Her blonde hair falling somehow perfectly around her shoulders, Ava Paige stares at Thomas, her tired, sunken eyes cloudy with disappointment, and her lips slightly parted.

I turn back to Thomas and see his finger lock around the trigger of his pistol, and my mind instantly goes back to what he said at the Right Arm camp nearly a year ago:

I'm going to kill Ava Paige.

My eyes widen as he raises the gun, pointing it directly at the woman. But seconds before he pulls the trigger, Newt grabs both of us and shove us out the way, just as multiple bullets whiz through the air of where we were standing seconds ago.

"It's Janson!" Newt shouts, yanking us down the next corridor. I turn my head back around see the man standing there, putting his pistol back in the holster before disappearing down the corridor we just came from, quickly being followed by WICKED guards. Ava Paige has completely disappeared from sight as well.

Anxiously I turned to look at Thomas beside me, who clenches his jaw in frustration at not getting the chance to kill Dr Paige. He reloads his pistol and steps in front of me and Newt as we turn into yet another corridor.

Several WICKED guards are standing around, but before they even get the chance to register we're standing there, the brunette boy fires a round of bullets at them, none of them missing.

"I'm nearly out." He says gruffly, stepping over the bodies and violently cocking his gun over and over.

"Thomas!" I snap, reaching out and placing my hand on the pistol. "You're out. Cocking it over and over will only break the gun."

"Guys, we have more company." Newt says weakly from behind me. I spin around and see several more guards charge through the doors about 6 feet away from us.

"Fuck." I mutter, quickly retrieving my own pistol and firing randomly at the group, hoping to hit at least one before they can hit us. A handful of them cry out in agony and fall to the floor, but some are still standing by the time my own gun runs out of ammo.

"What do we do?" I ask panicked, stepping back slightly as the men dust themselves off and start advancing towards us.

"Get down!" Newt shouts at us, sliding down onto his knees and pulling out a grenade from one of the dead guard's pockets. He clicks the button on top and hurls it at the group of remaining guards before scrambling away, plugging his ears.

Thomas and I drop down onto our knees just as the contraption explodes into millions of electrical bolts, shocking the guards violently until their pulsating bodies collapse to the ground.

"Nice one, Newt." I say, turning my head to look at him as he throws his head back against the wall. I feel my face fall as I watch him suck in deep, heavy breaths as if his oxygen supply has been cut off. Sweat gleams on his face under the fluorescent lighting, matting his blonde hair together in large chunks.

Dear God, I hope Gally has the serum.

"Ok, let's keep going." Thomas says, reloading his pistol with the bullets from the dead guard's gun. He jumps to his feet and offers me his hand, pulling me upright.

"You alright, Newt?" I ask anxiously, wrapping my hand around the boy's wrist. He nods weakly and lets me help him to his feet, loosing his balance slightly. I place my hand on his chest to steady him, quickly scanning his face for any new veins branching off the ones already there.

"Guys, come on!" Thomas yells, waving us down the corridor.

"We're nearly there, Newt." I reassure him, pulling him towards Thomas. "Just a little further." The boy offers me a half hearted smile, pushing away from me to stand up on his own as we turn the corner into the next corridor, where Thomas is already waiting for us.

"Ok, let's ge-"

"Not so fast." A voice growls. My heart plummets as a WICKED guard appears in front of us, aiming his launcher right at Newt's chest. "On the ground now!"

Fuck. We're completely done for now.

"Didn't you hear me?" The man shouts again when none of us move. "I said on the-"

Suddenly, a figure dressed in sweats and a black teacher comes speeding around the corner, hurling their body as hard as they can into the guard, causing him to crash to the floor. Before the man can gather his senses, the boy picks him up and throws him through the window of the next room, causing me to flinch slightly as a sheet of glass crashes onto the floor.

"Oh my god." Thomas says breathlessly. "Minho."

My head snaps back to the panting boy as he shifts his eyes from the window to our group, and see that it is in fact, Minho.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim, rushing forward and flinging my arms around the boy's neck, pulling him into a tight embrace. "You're alive!"

"Good to see you, Y/N." Minho smiles as I pull away from him to let Thomas and Newt share the greeting.

"I can't believe this." Newt chuckles, slapping Minho on the back. For the first time in about four days, the sick boy is actually smiling.

"It's good to see you all shanks." Minho says, pulling Thomas into a quick hug. "But we need to get going. The guards chasing me down the corridor will find us any second now."

"Good that." Thomas nods, breaking into a jog down the corridor. "This way!"

"Look, there they are!" I hear someone shout from behind me. I quickly turn my head and see Janson and his posse catch sight of our group.

"They've seen us!" I shout as we take a sharp left into the next corridor.

"In here!" Thomas shouts back, indicating towards a large metal door along the side of the hallway. I skid to a stop just as Thomas pushes open the doorway, pulling us all into the room before slamming it shut and locking it.

As I regain my breath I take a quick look around the room. The whole back wall is entirely glass, giving us the view of the brightly lit up rooftops of the city outside, and useless equipment is pushed against the other walls of the room, either in a messy pile or in stacked up boxes.

"Guys, we might need to find a way out of here soon." Minho says, pointing towards the door. "Look."

A mechanical whirring noise starts up from outside the room, and suddenly tiny yellow sparks begin to fly from the door's hinge.

They're trying to saw their way in.

"Anyone got any plans?" I shout to no one in particular as the sawing continues, the sparks gradually becoming bigger and bigger.

"I may have one." Thomas replies. I spin around and see him standing by the window, looking down at the ground beneath us before looking back up at us.

Oh, he's got to be kidding.

A/N: sorry for how badly this chapter is written, well at least for me it is because writing it I felt like I was doing an awful job of writing. But thank you all for still reading ilysm <33