Chapter 8

"We need to get out of here right shucking now!" Minho yells to us. "COME ON!"

I grab my rucksack and sling it onto my shoulder frantically just as another screech echoes throughout the mall, only this time it sounds closer than the last.

Gzi grabs my arm and pulls me along as we sprint through the mall, the light of Aris's torch flickering against the wall as the boy pumps his arms to gain as much speed as possible.

We run along the hallways, the sound of the Cranks getting closer and closer until I'm positive that there is one right behind us, but I don't dare to look.

"Ok, up here!" Thomas directs once we get to the bottom of the mall's escalator.

Gzi's grip doesn't loosen on my arm as she pulls me up the metal staircase, but before we can make it to the top, I feel a bony hand clasp around my ankle, pulling me downwards.

I yell out as my head crashes against the edge of the escalator stair, my skull instantly exploding with pain and the edges of my vision going black from the impact.

I hear Gzi cry out as I'm dragged down the stairs, despite my thrashing against the creature. I flip onto my back and come face to face with the hideous monster, the sight of it causing my heart to stop.

The Crank bears its broken teeth at me, which drip with black, rotting blood. Its flesh is grey and mouldy, and covered in sores. And where its eyes should be are two black sockets.

"HELP ME!" I wail, continuing to try and wriggle out of the Crank's grip on my ankle as they dig their nails into my skin, breaking through the flesh.

"HOLD ON, Y/N!" Gzi cries from above me. I tilt my head slightly and watch as the girl swings a metal pole at the Crank's head with as much force as she can physically gather, causing the creature to fly back off of me, releasing its grip from my ankles.

"Fucking hell, Y/N." Gzi pants, grabbing my wrist and pulling me to my feet. "That was too close."

"Thanks for saving me." I heave as we sprint up the stairs where the others are waiting for us.

"Y/N, are you alright?" Newt asks, his eyes clouded with worry as he gingerly reaches forward to brush my coat sleeve.

"I'm fine." I say, "we need to keep going. The Cranks won't stay down there for long."

"Good that." Minho huffs. "Come on, we need to find an exit from this place."

Taking a deep breath, I set off running again at the back of the group, but my new ankle injury makes it exceptionally hard for me to keep up with everyone.

"Y/N, hurry up!" Aris yells from the front as we turn another corner, entering a narrow corridor which is dimly lit by dying lightbulbs on the walls.

"I'm bloody trying!" I snap back, looking down at my ankle. My trouser leg around it has turned a deep crimson colour from the blood seeping from the wound.

"Y/N, BEHIND YOU!" Newt yells at me. I snap my head back and see three Cranks turn into our corridor, crashing into each other as they do so.

"Come on." Gzi says, grabbing my coat and dragging me along as Frypan bangs his shoulder against the double doors, trying to get it open. But it doesn't budge.

"Come on man!" Winston shouts frantically as Frypan goes in for another blow, still with no luck.

I shift my eyes down the corridor and see the Cranks advancing towards us at an alarming pace, considering their physical state.

"Frypan come on!" Thomas repeats, darting his eyes back and forth between the creatures and the door.

"I'm... TRYING!" Frypan grunts, slamming against the door one last time. And, as luck would have it, the doors busts open, causing the boy to fly through to the other side.