Chapter 15

"Oh shuck." Thomas mutters, running his hands through his hair. "Ok, we need to run. NOW!"

Another bolt of lightening cracks down only a few feet away from me, causing me to yell out as we take off sprinting towards the town.

I pump my arms and legs as fast as I physically can, my rucksack violently swinging back and forth on my back as I run. Forks of lightening crash down all around our group, each one only a few inches away from us. I keep on running, adjusting my position every now and again to avoid the forks of electricity, and finally we make it to one of the buildings on the edge of the town. I skid to a stop and crash into the metal door of what looks like some sort of abandoned factory.

"GET THE DOOR OPEN!" Thomas screams, running up behind me. I fumble around frantically against the door until my hand locks around the cold metal door handle. But just as I start to pull at it, a ear-piercing scream comes from behind me, followed shortly after by the cracking noise of lighting.

I spin my head around and see Minho and Newt lying on the floor, unconscious, twitching slightly.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim, letting go of the door and sprinting towards the two boys.

"Get Newt up! I'll get Minho!" Thomas shouts at me, running over to the boy and slinging his arm around his shoulder, hauling him to his feet.

I do the same with Newt and drag the unconscious boy up to his feet, putting my arm around his waist for extra support as I pull him back towards the building.

"I got the door open!" Frypan exclaims, "come on!"

I heave Newt through the door just as everyone piles into the building, and barely after the last person makes it through the door, Thomas slams it shut, instantly silencing the roaring thunder from outside.

"Are they dead?" Gzi asks as I lay Newt down on the ground, Thomas doing the same with Minho.

"I have no idea. Why aren't there any shucking lights on in here? Aris, pass me your flashlight." Thomas huffs, gently shaking Minho's shoulders in an attempt to wake him up.

Aris flicks on his flashlight and passes it to the boy, who points it right in Minho's face.

I shift my eyes back to Newt, and take hold of his shirt collar, shaking him slightly. "Come on, Newt. Wake up."

I get no response from the boy, so I try shaking harder, starting to raise my voice. "COME ON NEWT, WAKE UP!"

Newt's eyelids flutter slightly, but still don't open completely.

"Ok, fine then. Sorry if this hurts, Newt." I mutter, drawing my palm back slightly. Suddenly, I bring it forward and slap it hard across the boy's face, causing an instant burning sensation to quickly spread across my hand as I bring it back towards me, holding my breath as I wait for a response.

"Ow." Newt mumbles quietly, slowly reaching his own hand up to rub his face.

"Oh my god." I whisper, sighing with relief. "It worked."
I sit back on my knees as Newt slowly opens his eyes, blinking a couple of times in confusion.

"What happened to me?" He says.

"You were struck by lightening." I reply. "So was Minho."

"That's so cool!"

I snap my head to beside me just as Minho opens his eyes, a smile slowly breaking out on his face as he sits up. The group let out a sigh of relief in unison, as do I, and Thomas laughs lightly, shaking his head.

"Nice to know the lightening  hasn't changed you in any way, Minho." He chuckles, pulling the boy to his feet.

"Are you alright?" I ask Newt, also helping him to his feet.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Did you slap me?" He says, raising his eyebrow.

I shrug. "You weren't waking up, and I knew that you had jinxed not dying last night during our conversation, so I did what I had to do."

"Well, thanks." He replies, laughing slightly.

"Hey, guys." Teresa calls. I shift my head and see the girl wandering out into the darkness of the room, waving her flashlight to and fro. "Does anyone smell that?"

Just as she shines her light against the back wall, a face comes into the beam of the light- a face of a Crank. It has the same rotting skin of the ones we encountered back in the mall, and it's teeth are stained with blood as it bears them at Teresa, who jumps back in fear.

"Get back, get back!" Thomas shouts, yanking the girl back to our group. She spins around and her face distorts into terror, pointing behind us. "Watch out!"

Just as I turn my head, a rotting hand swipes it's mouldy nails at me, barely missing my face as Newt pulls me back by my rucksack handle, shoving me behind him.

"Don't let them touch you!" He shouts at me. My heart pounding, I nod quickly back at him as Aris's flashlight reveals more and more Cranks around us, blocking any sign of an exit- if there even is one.

"What the hell do we do!" Gzi cries out.

I look around the room frantically for any sign of an exit, but my eyes fall upon one of the Crank's ankles.

"Wait, hold on." I say. "They're chained up! Look, by the ankle!"

Aris shines his torch onto the closet Crank's ankle, revealing a metal bound attached to a chain against the wall, preventing it to be let loose on us.

"Why are they chained up?" Frypan shouts.

But the voice who replies isn't a familiar one:

"Ahh, I've seen you've met our guard dogs."

I turn my head and see the silhouette of a woman standing in the now- open doorway on the right wall of the room. She walks towards us as the Cranks around her growl and snarl at her, one even jumping forward and snapping its teeth at her ear. But she's completely unfazed by it- doesn't even flinch.

She stops once she reaches our perplexed group, before looking us up and down and letting out a scoff.

"Wow. You guys look like shit."

No one replies to the strange woman, who rolls her eyes. "Ok, come on. Or do you wanna stay out here with them?"

"Uh..no." Thomas stammers, glancing at the Cranks surrounding us.

"Ok then. Follow me." The girl smirks, spinning on her heel and striding back towards the doorway.

Thomas glances back at the rest of us, indicating towards the door before briskly walking after the girl as we all follow him in a single file line. I hunch my shoulders slightly to prevent being touched by any of the monsters, and Newt keeps a resting hand on my lower back as we walk through the doorway into the warehouse.