Chapter 47

"Alright, how does that feel?" Vince says softly, tying the ends of the gauze in a tight knot. I look down at my now-bandaged wound, and I nod gently.

"Feels good. Thank you." I say, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Great. Sorry to wake you from your nap." Vince smiles before patting my shoulder and rising to his feet. Newt beside me is still unconscious, but the bulging veins have faded completely to how they looked before he was infected.

"Look, there he is!" Minho yells from the front of the Berg, causing me to snap my head in his direction.

"That's Thomas!" Frypan adds, running out to where I'm sitting. He's quickly followed behind by a flustered Brenda and Minho.

My heart rate increases rapidly as I push myself upwards, stumbling over to them just as Jorge opens the hatch door.

My eyes widen as I look out into the city on fire, and my eyes lock on two figures on the roof of the WICKED facility, who stumble towards us.

It's Teresa. But is she.. is she dragging Thomas?

"Jorge, you need to get closer!" Gally shouts back to the man. The Berg shifts slightly as Jorge draws the aircraft closer to the roof, but it looks like it still isn't close enough.

"Y/N, go put Newt in the back room with the kids." Gally orders me.

"What?" I say, shifting my eyes to look at him. "Why? You need help getting them onto the Berg."

"Just do it." He replies sternly. "We can't have him lying around here unconscious with the risk of falling out of the Berg. Put him on the bed in the back room, and then you can come back."

I want to argue that Newt can't fall out since he's about 3 feet away from the open hatch, but I decide against it and just do what the boy says.

"Fine." I mumble back. I walk back over to Newt and scoop him up bridal-style in my arms so his head is resting gently against my shoulder.

I stumble under his weight into the back room, where the kids we saved from WICKED are all huddled together, talking in hushed whispers to each other. But they instantly fall silent once I enter the room.

"Don't worry guys. We'll be out of here soon." I reassure them. "Just need to pick up a couple of our friends."

"Is he alright?" One of them asks quietly as I gently set Newt down on the bed pushed against the wall. I turn to the group and see a blonde girl who can't be much younger than I am looking at me with anxious eyes.

"He's alright now." I smile back, and she relaxes a little. "We just need to let him sleep for a bit longer."

I look down at Newt and smile to myself, brushing the hair out of his face.

"I better get back out there." I say quietly to the kids, quickly leaning down and planting a kiss on his forehead. "Just hang on for a little while longer, alright? We'll be in paradise before you know it."

I leave the kids alone again in the room and run back out into the main area just as the group heave Thomas into the Berg.

"Oh my god." I say, running over and crouching down next to the brunette as he pushes his back up against the wall, gasping for breath. His face and hair is stained with blood, and his eyes can barely stay open as his hand covers what looks like a bullet wound in his abdomen.

"Thomas, are you alright? What happened?" I shout over the noise of the others combined with the propellers of the Berg.

"Just... get Teresa." He gasps, and I can tell he's swimming in and out of consciousness. "Get her in here."

And with that, his eyes droop and his body slumps slightly, indicating that's he now no longer awake.

"You need to get closer, Jorge!" Brenda screams again as I crawl over to the group by the edge of the hatch.

Teresa stands alone on the rooftop, surrounded by buildings engulfed in flames.

"Teresa, you need to jump!" Minho shouts at her, lying flat on his stomach with his arms outstretched towards the girl.

A large chunk of the next door building suddenly crumbles off, and it crashes onto the WICKED roof, causing Teresa to yell out and loose her balance slightly.

"I can't get any closer!" Jorge shouts at us.

"Come on, Teresa!" I yell, lying down on my stomach and outstretching my arms just like Minho. The girl's terrified eyes lock on mine, and I give her a reassuring nod.

"You can do it." I say, and I'm not even sure if she can hear me over the noise, but to my surprise she nods back, and positions herself ready to jump.

The next few moments seem to go by in slow motion as Teresa launches herself off the ledge of the building, and I push myself forward just as she grabs onto me and Minho's wrist.

Everything suddenly returns to normal speed as Frypan takes hold of Teresa's legs and three of us pull her inside the Berg.

"Nice work hermanos!" Jorge cheers at us from the cockpit, "now let's get out of here!"

The hatch door hisses loudly before slowly closing, and the Berg jolts as Jorge flies us away from the rooftop, leaving the burning city behind us.

"Are you alright?" Frypan asks the girl nervously as she lies on her back, gasping for breath just like Thomas did.

"Yeah, I'm..." but she doesn't finish her sentence before her eyes roll back into her head and she passes out.

"Ok, I'll take these two into the compartment." Vince sighs, picking up both Thomas and Teresa and throwing them over each shoulder with ease before disappearing into the next door room.

"How does he manage to carry two teenagers at the same time?" Frypan says quietly in amazement.

"Because he's Vince." I laugh tiredly, slowly getting to my feet. "I'm going to go check on Newt. Be back in a sec."

I leave the group in the main room and push open the door to the back room where the kids are still huddled together, obviously too afraid to come out.

"We've got everyone now." I smile warmly to them. "Everyone's safe now, so we're heading to Safe Haven."

I watch as all their faces visibly flood with relief, and a couple boys at the back let out a small cheer, causing me to laugh lightly.

"How's he doing?" I ask them, indicating to Newt.

"He hasn't stirred or anything, which is good." A brunette girl says.

"Ok, that's good." I say, wandering over to the boy and sitting down on the stool next to his bed. The veins in his face and neck has completely disappeared, and I can tell his face is slowly regaining its natural colour.

"We'll give you a minute." The blonde girl who I spoke to earlier smiles, turning around to her friends behind her. "Come on, let's go outside."

"Thank you." I return the smile, "I won't be too long."

I watch as the kids slowly shuffle out of the room, and the door clicks shut as the last one leaves.

I exhale softly and turn my eyes back to Newt, who shows no sign of waking up anytime soon. But I guess that means that the Serum is working, or I hope at least I hope it is. But from the disappearance of the bulging veins, nothing bad can be happening.

The door clicks open again, causing me to startle slightly, and I snap my head to see Minho leaning against the doorframe, smiling at me.

"Mind if I join you?"