Chapter 46

A/N: sorry for such a short chapter today!

Gally, Brenda and Fry come sprinting around the corner, only to stop immediately in their tracks at the sight of Newt's body lying by Minho.

"It's alright." I say, walking over to the group. "He's alive. He's fine."

"Oh my god, Y/N." Brenda exclaims, rushing forward to me. Her eyes dart down to the blood stain on my no longer white tank top. "You're bleeding."

"Yeah, I know." I reply, looking down at the stinging wound. "But I'm fine. We need to get going."

"I need to go." Thomas mumbles, taking off towards the glass doors before anyone can say anything.

"What?" Brenda says, "where are you going?"

"Teresa." I mumble, suddenly remembering what she said over the loud speakers earlier.

"Just let him do his thing." Gally says, "we'll meet him at the Berg. Right now we need to get going."

"Good that." Minho nods, motioning at Frypan. "Fry, help me with Newt."

"Course." The boy replies, and together they each take one of Newt's arms and lift him up to his feet.

"Ok, let's go." Gally says, turning on his heel and striding out the entrance of the courtyard.

"Are you sure Thomas will meet us back there?" Brenda says worriedly as we leave the courtyard and break out into a slow jog.

"Brenda, Thomas is a smart guy." I reply, "he'll know to meet us back. And there's no way on Earth that I'm letting us leave without him."

"Ok." Brenda nods weakly. She glances back over her shoulder to look at Minho and Fry a few paces behind us, dragging the unconscious boy along the streets.

The wound on my chest still throbs painfully as I gently lift my jacket over my nose to try and prevent myself from breathing in the fumes still lingering in the air around the city.

Gally leads us up a massive set of concrete stairs which take us to the top of the tunnels where the Berg is waiting for us.

The hatch door slowly opens to reveal Jorge waiting for us, and his eyes widen when he catches sight of us.

"Hermanos!" He shouts, waving us over. "We have to get going!"

We all hurry over to him, and I notice the man's face drop when he catches sight of Newt's unconscious state.

"Don't worry, he's alive." I reassure him, and he lets out a small sigh of relief.

"Alright. Let's get you kids out of here." He nods, offering me his hand to pull me up into the Berg. I slide my back down the wall and rest my head back against it, pushing my hand against my bleeding wound.

"We have to go get Thomas." Brenda says quickly as she jumps up to join me. "He's at WICKED headquarters getting Teresa."

"I need your help to locate him then." Jorge says to the girl. "Come with me to the hatch. Everyone else, get into the Berg!"

Brenda nods and the pair disappear into the hatch just as Vince emerges from it.

"What the hell have you kids gotten yourselves into this time?" He chuckles slightly just as Fry and Minho climb aboard, followed by Gally. The two boys rest Newt down against the wall next to me, before taking a seat on the other side of him. Gally leans against the opposite wall, looking intently at Newt as the boy's chest softly rises and falls.

"Y/N, what happened to you?" Vince asks me, crouching down and examining my wound. Some of the blood has seeped through my hand, turning my fingers a bright red colour.

"Newt... he lost control-" I say, and that's all Vince needs to hear before cutting me off.

"Ok. Let me get you some gauze." He replies, standing upright. "I'll be right back." He disappears into the next door room, leaving the five of us alone.

I exhale loudly, barely having enough strength to turn and look at Newt beside me. The veins in his neck and face has now faded to a mere, thin purple line, which gives me a little bit of hope.

"You did good, Y/N."

I look over the front of Newt and see Minho warming smiling at me. "You did really good."

"Thank you shank." I laugh weakly. His eyes light up as a grin slowly forms on his face.

"Did you just call me shank?" He smiles. "I don't think I've ever heard you call me that ever."

"Well I guess there's a first time for everything." I smile back, which causes the hot to roll his eyes.

"That's so cringe, Y/N."

"Whatever." I sigh, leaning my head back against the wall. I can barely keep my eyes open, but before I drift off to a sleep I'm pretty sure I won't be able to come out of, I move my hand along the floor towards Newt and gently take hold of his own hand.

We did it, Newt. I say to myself in my head as I accept defeat and let my eyelids flutter shut.

I told you I would be by your side forever.