viii. schemes

CHAPTER EIGHT ─── schemes 

𝕿here wasn't much in the world that Stasiaj liked more than she did her schemes. Often, the teenager found herself at her desk, a bowl of sweets and a cup of coco at her side, planning out an elaborate negotiation for hours on end, the gears in her brain whirring away. 

The only thing that Stasiaj liked more than schemes were hot baths and good food, both of which were going to be hard to come by on this trip, so scheming would be her go to relaxation method when the others undoubtedly started to get on her nerves.

Before they had left the ship, Stasiaj had given letters to the captain onboard (that she owned) and told him to send it as soon as they reached the next available mailing centre. Once those letters got to their recipients, Stasiaj would find a dress, mask, invitation and carriage awaiting her just before the Ice Court. From there it was an easy in and an even easier out, for her. 

She couldn't care less what the others were up to.

"Snake, pay attention," Stasiaj raised an eyebrow at Kaz, who was starting to lay the plan out to the other members of his rag-tag little group. They watched him with wide eyes, as if they could not even begin to comprehend the scale of the strategy that Kaz was laying out. It was adorable, in a naïve sort of way.

"I am. Do continue, Crow Man," He rolled his eyes at Stasiaj's smirk.

"If we get this right, we're going to be in and out of the Ice Court before the Fjerdans ever know their prize scientist is gone," Kaz said as they shouldered their packs and continued to push south. "When we enter the prison, we'll be taken to the holding area beneath the men's and women's cellblocks to await charges. If Matthias is right and the procedures are still the same, the patrols only pass through the holding cells three times a day for head counts. Once we're out of the cells, we should have at least six hours to cross to the embassy, locate Yul-Bayur on the White Island, and get him down to the harbour before they realise anyone is missing."

"What about the other prisoners in the holding cells?" Matthias asked, looking glum.

"We have that covered."

"Don't get any ideas, Wolf Boy," Stasiaj told Matthias, a grin on her face. "You double cross us and prevent me from getting the things that I want, I shall end you and you'll never be able to return to Fjerda without being shot on sight."

"Once we're out of the cells," Kaz continued, ignoring Stasiaj's threatening tone and Matthias' pale face, "Matthias and Jesper will secure rope from the stables while Wylan and I get Nina and Inej out of the women's holding area. The basement is our meet. That's where the incinerator is, and no one should be in the laundry after the prison shuts down for the night. While Inej makes the climb, Wylan and I scour the laundry for anything he can use for demo. And just in case the Fjerdans decided to stash Bo Yul-Bayur in the prison and make life easy on us, Nina, Matthias, and Jesper will search the top level cells."