x. grisha squallers

CHAPTER TEN ─── grisha squallers 

𝕬rguments were something Stasiaj Yahontov was very familiar with. When people met her, they normally adopted an argumentative tone after hearing her name, wanting nothing to do with her. That didn't both Stasiaj, for she threatened them with the information that she had on them and it was all sorted once more. Plus, normally, people forgot to hold their tongues in arguments and let information slip that she didn't already know, which was always good for business.

However, in this particular argument, they were just repeating information that Stasiaj already knew so she found no merit in it continuing. It was a mere lovers spat, and Stasiaj did not want to listen to it any longer. She was hoping that they'd shut up soon.

It seemed that her prayers were answered, just not in the way that Stasiaj wished for them to be, for the grounds beneath them began to rumble.

"Are their fault lines this far north?" Wylan looked at Matthias.

"Not that I..."

"There aren't," Stasiaj replied, trying to stay on her own two feet as the ground rumbled once more, and cracked monoliths of stone and ice shot into the air, forcing the Snake to hurry away from it. She didn't particularly feel like breaking any bones that day.

"What the hell is this?" cried Jesper.

"Some of kind of earthquake!" shouted Inej.

"No," said Nina, pointing to a dark spot that seemed to be floating in the sky, unaffected by the howling wind. "We're under attack."

"That should not be possible," Stasiaj replied, her eyes wide in surprise as she stumbled back to try and find a hiding spot. Grisha should not be this powerful. "Is this what Jurda Parem does?"

"Not the time, Snake!" Kaz called back, both of them slamming to the floor as another large chunk of rock and ice shot from the ground. "Eyes closed!"

"Thanks, Brekker!" Stasiaj shot back, spitting ice from her mouth as the pair hunkered down from the pellets that the Grisha Squaller was shooting in their direction

"I need a distraction!" shouted Jesper from somewhere in the storm.

She heard a tinny plink.

"Get down," cried Wylan. Stasiaj flattened herself to the floor further, pulling her hands over her head as she heard Kaz do the same to her left. A boom sounded overhead, and an explosion lit the sky just to the right of the Squaller. The winds around them dropped as the Squaller was thrown off course and forced to focus on righting himself. It took the briefest second, but it was enough time for Jesper to aim his rifle and fire.