xliv. epilogue

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR ─── epilogue 

𝕶az Brekker often forgot that Stasiaj Yahontov terrified close to every criminal in the Barrel. He had gotten used to seeing her merely as Stasiaj, not as Snake. The very same Stasiaj who always drank hot coco and stole his shirts, who loved warm baths despite her hatred of the water and who had a weird fascination with his cane. 

But, back in the Barrel, he was reminded of the fear that she caused. A mere whisper of her name had grown men paling and running for cover so that she wouldn't hear their whispers of illicit activities that took place in the dark. Whenever it happened, a cruel smirk would form on her face and Kaz would find himself falling back in love with her.

"You're staring again," Stasiaj called, breaking him from his thoughts and Kaz found that he had been staring at her face, tracing his eyes along her lips that were pulled back into a soft smile, instead of the cruel smirk. Often he found himself thinking about what it would be like to have her lips on his, to feel them against his skin and to pull her close and into his arms. But he didn't tell her any of that.

The sun had long since set, the last remnants of orange and amber kissing the horizon in the distance, so the glow of candlelight was the only thing lighting the small room. Stasiaj's fangs were piled in the corner of the desk, beside Kaz's cane, and she was twirling a ring around her fingers as she read through the pages of information in front of her. How she had been able to see him watching her was a mystery to Kaz, but he didn't avert his gaze.

Finally, she looked up from the pages, her soft grin growing as she watched him, adoration filling up her eyes.

"Do I have something on my face?" Kaz shook his head, the pages abandoned below him. "Then why are you staring?"

"I'm admiring," She chuckled softly beneath her breath, before stretching and running a hand through her hair. 

"Well, I am beautiful,"

"And cocky," Kaz teased, before standing up and grabbing his cane to limp out of the room and towards the small kitchen area in the Slat. "Anything interesting for you?"

"No but if I read one more thing about profit margins, I'm going to stab myself,"

"You're being overdramatic," She shot him a look of complete annoyance as they began to work in unison to create two mugs of hot coco, as Stasiaj had finally managed to cut Kaz off of coffee in the night time. "Where's Malkus?"

"Asleep," Stasiaj replied, nodding back at Kaz's room. "He fell asleep after about the second hour and honestly, I can't blame him."

"You could always go home,"