xxxiv. brother

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR ─── brother 

𝕾tasiaj Yahontov didn't know who she was anymore. She wasn't Anastasiaj Lantsov and she never had been. She wasn't the Snake of Ketterdam, having not foreseen Kaz's betrayal, and Stasiaj Yahontov was a foolish teenager who had fallen for the Bastard of the Barrel under the misinformed idea this would be different. That he could love her.

How could she have been so foolish to think that Kaz would ever be capable of falling for someone? Maybe he had opened up to her but it had all been a means to an end for him. He had never loved her back, just tricked her brain into thinking that he did to uncover her secrets and manipulate them into something for his gain. She should have seen it coming.

The water splashed against her skin, as Stasiaj sunk into the bathtub, running a hand through her blonde hair. Every time she looked around the room, she remembered Kaz; when he helped her with Hardy, when he'd talk to her in the evenings as they went over their separate work, when they argued like an old married couple. Had that all been a lie?

Quickly, the girl began to scrub herself clean, determined to get her mind off of the infuriating boy. It did little to help. 

"Stasiaj?" There was a knock at the door, as Ivarn stood outside. "They agreed to come here. Celia has just been sent to get him."

"Thanks darling," He went quiet for a moment, before speaking again.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine," Stasiaj huffed, getting out of the bath and wrapping a towel around her. She wished they wouldn't ask her that, it made her feel worse. "Why?"

"You just don't seem as happy anymore," Ivarn replied, as Stasiaj opened the door, leaning against the frame to talk to the boy. "Something happened with Kaz."

"Nothing happened with Kaz. We've just finished the end of our business deal, that's all," Ivarn didn't seem convinced, but Stasiaj ruffled his dark hair, "and it doesn't concern you anyway. Send them to the dining room when they come, I'll meet them downstairs."

"Yes, Stasiaj," She grinned, pinching his cheek before giving him a good natured shove away from her. He disappeared downstairs as Stasiaj closed the door and dropped her grin. Did no one get that she no longer wanted to talk about the Bastard of the Barrel?

Shaking her head, Stasiaj pulled another of her dark dresses from the closet, pulling it on swiftly as she checked her complexion in the mirror, watching the way the scars rolled when she moved.