xxxvi. unspoken words

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX ─── unspoken words 

𝕾tasiaj's face was settled in a dark glare, her eyebrows furrowed and her blue eyes stormy. But even with the ire directed towards Kaz, he couldn't deny the overwhelming amount of relief that washed over him at the sight of her.

She was back in front of him again. His Snake was back, even though she claimed she would never see him again.

"Malkus," Stasiaj grabbed the back of Malkus' coat, avoiding Kaz's hand, and eyes. "You should not be out of the Den and you definitely should not be here."

"But Ma..." Malkus whined.

"Don't you dare," Stasiaj glared, causing the boy to scrunch his nose up in annoyance. "We're going to have a talk about you sneaking out and ignoring my orders and lying to my face when we get home."

Kaz froze in his spot, Stasiaj's scent of lavender washing around him like an ocean wave on a summers day. Malkus turned, before glaring at Kaz and motioning at his mother. For a moment, Kaz faltered before remembering the fear that had wreathed his heart when Stasiaj had walked out of the door.

"Stasiaj..." He hurried after her, causing Malkus to sigh in relief. Reaching out, Kaz caught her coat sleeve and pulled her to a halt. "Stasiaj, stop."

"No, I said we weren't going to talk," Stasiaj replied, her tone cold as she tried to tug her hand away from him but he stood firm. "Kaz, I will not talk."

"You don't have to, but I am going to talk to you," Kaz growled, stepping in front of her and dropping her coat. "Stasiaj, listen to me, I did not want to make that deal, I did not want to put you in that position. I know, alright, I know that you have been patient with me and about Jo...my brother and I...if I had another choice, I would have taken it. I know that I wouldn't want someone to go off of my trauma."

She was still glaring at him with those eyes that Kaz adored so much, her lips curled into a snarl and Kaz felt the undeniable urge to lean forward and kiss her. Kaz fell silent as he tried to think of what to say, his tongue tying itself up as he tried to force the words from his lips.

"I need you," Kaz's words were only a whisper as he watched her carefully, a tension forming between them. "I need you by my side, Stasiaj. You're my Snake and you're a Crow and you're the informant of Ketterdam and I need to have you by my side for this."

Stasiaj's face barely faltered, her eyes narrowed, but there was a shift in her posture. It was only a slight shift, but Kaz noticed it. She was listening now.