xxvii. ransoms

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN ─── ransoms 

𝕬fter their meeting had come to a close, the Crows had all hurried off to their separate jobs, whilst Inej and Stasiaj stayed back at home. It had been a tense wait, and had led to a lot of quarrelling between the Wraith and the Snake, as Stasiaj struggled to keep Inej from leaving the house.

"Thank the saints you are back Kaz," Stasiaj cried, before pointing at the chandelier that Inej was sitting on top of, glaring at her. "Your Wraith's in a huff that I wouldn't let her out."

"Inej, get down from the chandelier!" Kaz called.

"No!" Stasiaj turned to look at Kaz, her expression unamused. 

"Have fun,"

"I brought the stuff from the circus," Inej dropped to the floor, a grin on her face as Kaz handed her the pile of things that she needed. The Wraith scurried off to the dining room, as Stasiaj kissed her teeth, "and that is how it's done, Princess."

"Keep calling me that and I'll..."

"You'll what, Princess?" Kaz cocked an eyebrow at her, a competitive smirk coming onto his face as he watched red seep up Stasiaj's cheeks. His victory didn't last long, as Stasiaj turned back towards him, that sultry grin he knew all too well, appearing on her face. 

"You'll have to wait and find out, Crow Man," She murmured. "But I promise you, it'll be worth it."

Stasiaj left him in the hallway, giggling at his slightly shell-shocked expression as she hurried after Inej, who was happily looking through the high ropes. 

"Nina," Jesper said. "Can you help facilitate this exchange?"

Stasiaj looked up, before both Inej and her jumped up and ran for Nina, wrapping her in a hug.

"What about me?" Matthias asked, as Stasiaj rolled her eyes.

"Should we care about you?" Inej and Stasiaj stuck their tongues out, before going back to hugging Nina.

"Did you manage to contact the refugees?" Inej asked, pushing Jesper off of his seat for Nina to sit down in between the two girls. Kaz raised an eyebrow at them.

"Everything went smoothly," said Nina. "Aside from breaking a few windows and nearly getting shot."

"Big trouble in Little Ravka?" asked Jesper, rubbing his tailbone.