xxxix. pekka rollins

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE ─── pekka rollins 

𝖂hen the first shot rang out, Kuwei had stumbled back and into Stasiaj's arms as Kaz and Matthias rushed over to their side. The Snake huffed at the feeling, quickly struggling out from underneath him to brush the dust from her suit and wait for Kaz to inject the syringe into Kuwei's vein. 

"If he's got blood on my suit..." 

"I'll get you a new one, stop complaining," Kaz muttered as a smattering of gunfire echoed around the cathedral.

There was blood everywhere. Jellen Radmakker had fallen to the stage and was bellowing, "I've been shot!" He had not been shot, he was just being overdramatic.

Kaz shouted for the medik. The little bald man stood paralyzed beside the stage where he'd been tending to Wylan, his face horror-stricken. Matthias seized the medik's elbow and dragged him over.

People were still pushing to get out of the church. A brawl had erupted between the Ravkan soldiers and the Fjerdans as Nikolai, Zoya, and Genya bolted for an exit. The members of the Merchant Council had surrounded Van Eck with a clutch of men from the stadwatch. He wasn't going anywhere.

A moment later, Stasiaj saw Inej and Jesper pushing towards them. Inej was bloody and her eyes red and swollen, but she seemed okay.

"Kuwei—" said Inej.

"We can't help him now," said Kaz, as Inej brushed past him to stand in front of Stasiaj.

"Stasiaj..." Inej squeezed her hand, before smiling. "I'm glad he apologized."

"So am I," Stasiaj grinned. "Are we still on for waffles?"

"Absolutely," The pair hid their smiles, knowing that it would not look good on their behalf, before Kaz turned back to the pair and nodded. Straightening her blazer once more, Stasiaj descended from the stage and followed after Kaz towards the nave, as Matthias and the medik took Kuwei's body.

They raced up the pinky nave and into the chapel. But the door to the street and the canal beyond was locked. Behind them, the door to the chapel banged shut. Pekka Rollins leaned back against it, surrounded by four of his Dime Lion crew.

"Right on time," said Kaz and Stasiaj pulled her fangs free from her hair, hiding them in her blazer sleeve to see if a fight was going to break out.

"I suppose you predicted this too, you tricksy bastard?"

"I knew you wouldn't let me walk away this time."