xxxi. truths and injuries

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ─── truths and injuries 

∘☽༓☾∘

𝕾tasiaj reclined on the sofa after Kaz, and then Inej, left, her mind still focused on the feather light feeling of Kaz's lips on her cheek. It had been like a brush of wind, but one so strong that it had fanned the flames in her heart into an inferno. Saints, she was in deep with him. 

"Mama," The girl opened her eyes, as Malkus clambered over the back of the sofa and crawled back to lay on top of her. Stasiaj fought a groan of pain, as he landed on one of her stab wounds. "I took Crow Man to his club."

"Good boy," Malkus beamed, before waiting. "What do you want?"

"Toffee," Stasiaj paused, before groaning as she pushed herself half upright. 

"Matthias," The Fjerdan appeared at her whining. "Do we have toffee?"

"Maybe," 

"Great. Malkus, go follow Matthias and get your toffee," The boy clambered off her, as Stasiaj let out another silent cry of pain. Somehow, Malkus seemed to have a talent for elbowing her on her wounds. He waltzed off as Nina snickered, coming to sit in front of the girl.

"He is a handful," Stasiaj nodded, leaning her head on Nina's shoulders. "I wanted to ask you something."

"If it's going to lead to me wanting to commit manslaughter, don't," Nina snorted, before shaking her head. "Good, then ask away."

"What was that thing about another contender for the throne?" Stasiaj chewed on an ulcer forming in her mouth from the lack of sleep, wondering how to answer this. "We know about Inej's shadow, but there aren't any more, unless you know something."

"I know nothing," Nina shot her a look. "I'm going off of rumours here, okay? That's waht I do. All I've heard is something about a younger sister?"

"The missing Lantsov daughter? She's supposedly dead," Nina replied, turning to face Stasiaj, who was wrinkling her nose. "That's your 'I-know-something' face. What's going on?"

"I just..." Stasiaj trailed off. It wasn't that she didn't trust Nina, she truly did. But, Stasiaj didn't trust her not to tell her Ravkan friends in the city about her and then be dragged from her home to go to another country and back to a family that she had no recollection of. "I just heard some information from a slaver."

"Really?" Nina perked up, waiting for Stasiaj to say something.

"Yeah, he was saying that he supposedly stole the Princess of Ravka from a party when she was six,"