xxv. malkus

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE ─── malkus 

"𝕳ow was your boss?" Kaz paused on the stairs, turning to look into Stasiaj's room. A warm glow lit the room, illuminating the now neat bed and desk. It cast shadows on the walls that danced and flickered with each warm draft of air that swept through the room, enveloping Kaz in the smell of lavender. It was Stasiaj's scent, that normally followed her around like a persistent ghost. 

His Snake sat at the desk, her legs curled up beneath her, as she flicked through the information on pages in front of her. Her war paint was gone from her face and her blonde hair was pulled up, the fangs pinning it away and out of her view. She glanced up, her cheeks rosy from the mug in front of her, and an eyebrow cocked.

Kaz wondered if this was what coming home truly was. If so, Kaz didn't mind coming home to a view like this each night.

"Malkus?" Stasiaj nodded, a smile on her face as she took a sip of the drink.

"Malkus," Kaz hummed, shedding his wool coat, and slinging it over the back of the chair opposite Stasiaj. His little shadow was curled up on Stasiaj's bed, his dark curls barely visible from the mound of blankets and covers that the boy was hidden beneath. "How was your meeting?"

"I managed to barter for more time from him, but he's not happy," Kaz revealed, sitting down in the seat opposite her and rubbing his leg. "He wants Inej back."

"That won't happen," Stasiaj turned a page over, chewing on her nail as she read through the contents. 

"No. What did your vipers say about Van Eck's house?" 

"The windows would be fine for you, but time consuming," Stasiaj replied. "There are guards outside of Alys' room now and the safe looks like a pain. They snuck in through the back, apparently there's an event going on for the Merchant Council there. Possibly dinner."

"I see," Kaz shrugged, chewing on his lips. "Probably get them onto his side, turn them against us."

"That wouldn't be hard," Stasiaj shrugged. "Merchers hate barrel rats and you are the perfect depiction of a sewer rat."

"Thank you, Stasiaj," Kaz replied, rolling his eyes as she sent him a small grin. "I saw you fall today. When the bomb went off."

"It's nothing," He raised an eyebrow, as Stasiaj looked up from her work. "It is nothing. Kaz, don't worry about me. I'm alright."

"I wasn't worried," He huffed, causing Stasiaj to snort.

"Sure you weren't," She grinned, before pushing her drink over to him. "Try it."