chapter 42.

Isaac and I sat in silence for the longest time. I had nothing to say to him and apparently he had nothing to say to me. We hardly looked at each other. I told him he'd have to go soon because I'm going out with my dad and he just nodded at me. He sat on the couch while I was sitting on the chair, hoping my dad would get home quick. The TV was on and one of the shows that Isaac and I love was on. I didn't pay much attention to it, we've seen every episode but he was so interested in it. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe I should just forgive him and the rest of them and get over it. Maybe I'm the one being irrational.

I hear the front door open and I hear my dad yell my name. I walk into the kitchen with Isaac following behind me. I see him and Katherine, whose smile is bright and big. I smile at them and my dad sees Isaac.

"Oh? Isaac, hey!" My dad says.

"Sorry, I'm just about to leave." Isaac says and fakes a smile. My dad stares at him for a few seconds.

"Why? Are you not coming with us?"

Isaac looks at me, wondering if he should say yes or no to that. I shake my head telling him no but instead, he tells my dad he's going. I roll my eyes. I want to get away from him for a bit, not spend my whole day with him.

"I'm Isaac," he says while holding out his for Katherine to shake. "You are?"

"I'm Katherine," she grins and takes his hand in hers. "Nice to meet you!"

My dad smiles and I just look away, grabbing my coat. My dad definitely knows something's wrong but I'm not ruining my day with him and Katherine. So, I ignore everything. I ignore my feelings and what's been happening. I smile and my dad holds the door open for us and we all get in the car while he locks the door.

I wasn't sure how I was truly feeling, all I know is that I didn't want to think about what's happened. Isaac looked at me, giving me a small grin. I quickly smiled and looked away. I don't want to end things with Isaac but I'm not even sure if I can trust him. I just know that the thought of telling Isaac "we're over." breaks my heart and it's not something that I want to do. Maybe eventually we'll sit down and talk about things but my head is full of things that are keeping me from being able to think about us talking about it.

"Isaac, how do you know Ashlyn?" Katherine asks as she buckles up.

"Well, it's kind of a funny story actually," he begins. "When she first moved here, our friend Stiles invited her to sit with us. I wasn't in the best mood that day and I'm not good with new people anyways so when I saw her there I got even more frustrated. Then, she thought I hated her."

"You totally did!" I interrupted him and laughed.

"I didn't!" he fights back. "After that day of school, they had all made plans to show Ashlyn around but my mood that day was so horrible that I decided I didn't want to go but when I got home that day I thought about how maybe going out could help my mood so I went to Ashlyn's house and she was surprised. She was like "I thought you hated me." but in all reality, I could feel that she was going to be so much more to me than what I had ever expected."

As Isaac went on and on about things, I couldn't help but smile at the memories. We were all laughing and smiling. It had felt like forever since I had done that and actually meant it. I feel like I've been through so much with Isaac that losing him isn't even an option that I want to consider. He's been through some of the craziest and also scariest things with me. He has made me smile and laugh when I was at my worst.

"Ash," he whispered, breaking me from my thoughts. "I love you."

I looked at him, and I decided to not think about anything but the good. My dad and Katherine were in the front singing loudly and laughing. Isaac was being really sweet even though he knew Zak was at my house and he seemed happy. He took my hand in his and held it. Hopefully today will actually go well.