chapter 13.

After hours of looking around places with Lydia and Isaac, I am more than tired. We're on our way back go my house and I cannot wait to lay in my bed.

"Did you have fun?" Lydia asks.

"Yeah, it was nice to get out of the house for awhile. Thank you!" I smile at her and Isaac kisses my cheek.

We pull into the driveway and I see my dad's car. That's weird. He wasn't supposed to be back home until sometime during the week.

I walk into the house and see my dad standing there. He turns to me with tears in his eyes and his face completely pale.

"Dad? What's wrong?" I ask.

"Your mom... She's really, really sick, Ashlyn." He says to me as his voice breaks at the end. My heart stops just hearing those words.

"What? What do you mean?"

I feel the tears in my eyes. My chest is heavy and I feel like I'm about to pass out any minute now. My dad walks closer to me and hugs me. The tears fall from my eyes and I just hug him. I cry and cry for what feels like hours. My dad looks at me and all I can see is hurt on his face.

"We'll be leaving for Washington in the morning, pack a little stuff up tonight, okay? I'm gonna go on up and pack, I love you. Sweet dreams." He barely smiles at me and disappears up the stairs.

I should've known that my dad being home from his business stuff this early was a bad sign because that's the only time he was home so early. I didn't expect it to be this. He never told me what was wrong with her but I hope it's nothing too serious. My dad's face was saying otherwise, but I'm going to stay positive.

I go up the stairs and into my room. I pull my suitcase out of my closet and lay it on the floor. I feel myself getting weak so I lay on the bed. I think of all the good times to keep myself from crying more than I already have. The rain outside has picked up and the thunder is louder than ever. I see the lightning lighting up the street from outside my window.

As I stare out my window, I see a shadow of a human standing on the roof. The lightning strikes again and they disappear. I hear my dad yell and I immediately run to him.

"Yeah?" I say to him.

"If you are hungry or anything, there's some stuff I brought home downstairs. Are you alright?"

"Okay, I went out with Isaac and Lydia. So, I'm not that hungry but thanks. And....yeah. I'm fine, dad."

"Okay..." He sighs, "goodnight, Ashlyn. Love you."

"I love you as well. Night." I say walking out of his bedroom.

I'm just going to believe that it was my imagination that made me see that. Even though weird things have been happening lately. I walk back into my bedroom and decide to finally pack some stuff. I grab t-shirts, jeans, and everything else that I'll need.

I change into my pajamas and sit my suitcase at the door. I lay in bed and cover up. The rain is soothing and is making me sleepy. As soon as my eyes shut, I hear a knocking noise on my window. I remember that there's a tree beside my window and ignore it.

I turn on my other side and hear the knocking quicken. I hurry to my feet and run to my window. I see a soaked Isaac and open my window.

"Isaac! What're you doing here?!" I whisper yell at him.

"Are you okay? I heard about your mom." He says.

"How did you know?"

"Your dad told Scott's mom, I wanted to check on you." He gives me a little smile and rubs my shoulder before pulling me into a hug.

"I'm not okay, Isaac..." I start to cry into his chest. His shirt is soaked and cold but I still hold onto him.

"It's okay, I'm here for you, I promise." He kisses my cheek.

I look up at him and give him a small smile. He rubs his thumb across my cheek and kisses me. His blue eyes sparkle under the light as he stares at me.

"Would you like a different shirt?" I ask him.

"That would be nice." He laughs a little. "I didn't expect to get this soaked."

I laugh and walk to my dad's room quietly and grab a shirt. I close the door gently and walk back to my room.

Isaac is standing at my bed waiting on me. The wet shirt clinging to his body, his muscles showing through. I almost have to yell at myself for staring.

"Here." I smile and hand him the black t-shirt.

He smiles and takes his shirt off. I lay on the bed and turn the tv on to distract myself...