chapter 38.

The bell to release us to the last period of the day finally rings and I couldn't be more happy. I'll get to go home and get away from everyone.

I remember that the storm is coming and quickly text Lydia asking if I can come over. I know my dad probably won't get home until 12 a.m. and I just don't want to be alone during the storm.

She replies with 'yes, of course.' and I sigh in relief.

"You okay?" Zak asks. Somehow I've never noticed him in any of my classes.

"I am, actually. You?" I say.

"Always. And even if I'm not, I pretend." He laughs.

"Are you pretending now?"

"Nope, I'm not." He smiles and I laugh.

We turn towards the board as the teacher walks in. She tells us she has to grade papers so we get a free day. Could this day get any better? Probably not because it'll get worse, I'm sure.

I start to sketch a little on the piece of paper I had out because everyone's talking while I have no one to talk to. Great.

Zak had moved towards the back of the room with his group of friends and I decide to lay my head on the desk. My eyes start getting heavy.

~~~~

I feel someone shaking me and I wake up instantly. I jump up and I see Zak.

"Ashlyn! It's me. Calm down." He's laughing and I'm beyond embarrassed.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I'm just really jumpy." I say and grab my stuff.

We start walking out the door and he walks me out to my car. We talk about random things.

"It's always nice talking to you," he says before walking away. "See you around."

"Do you ride a bus home?" I ask before he gets too far away and he walks back over to me.

"No, I walk." He says.

"It's raining, I can drive you home?"

"No, I don't want to be any trouble. It's okay."

"No, no. I insist." I smile. I know Isaac will flip when he hears about this but Zak is my friend. Isaac will just have to deal with that.

I unlock the car and we both get in quickly. The rain has started coming down even harder now. I laugh and look at Zak.

"Bet you're happy you're letting me take you home." I say.

"I am because I would be absolutely soaked now." He laughs and I turn the radio on. He gives me directions to his house and we get there in no time.

"Would you like to come in?" Zak offers.

"If I wasn't going to my friends, I'd love to. Maybe we can hangout this weekend?" I say and he nods his head and gets out.

"Bye, Ashlyn."

"Bye!" I say and pull out. The drive back to my house seemed like it took forever. As I pull into the driveway, I see a soaking wet Isaac on the porch. This is going to be wonderful.

I sigh, grabbing my bag and running to the front door. We don't say a word to each other. Isaac walks into the living room while I go upstairs to put my bag in my room and get him a new shirt. I know we're about to fight and I'm trying to prepare myself but I can't. There's nothing I hate more than fighting with Isaac.

"Here's a new shirt." I start to hand him but he pushes my hand away.

"I don't need that." He says and I sit on the couch.

"Ashlyn, why are you still hanging out with him?" He looks at me and I decide not to answer. "He's bad news, Ashlyn! I can just feel it. I don't know why you won't listen to me."

"How do you know he's bad news, Isaac?" I say. "You've never even talked to him. Give people a chance before you judge them."

"I'm just trying to protect you. I'm just trying to protect the only person I really have. I'm just trying to protect the girl that I'm in love with. I'm scared of losing you." He sits down and I throw the shirt towards him. He lifts the wet shirt off of his body and doesn't put the dry one on. Uhhhhh.

"I know, but you need to understand that I can have friends and that I won't leave you. I promise I won't. I've made this promise to you many times before." I say and look at him, although his bare chest is a bit distracting.

He laughs a little and I scoot closer to him. He pulls me into a hug and I've never felt so happy in my life. If there's one thing I can say about Isaac, it's that he always tries. I love that about him.

"I'm gonna go make hot chocolate for us, put that shirt on. You're distracting me and I don't like it." I say and he laughs again. I hear the tv turn on while I'm making our drinks. They're talking about how bad the storm is supposed to be and if I'm being honest, I'm terrified.

I quickly grab our cups and head into the living where a still-shirtless Isaac is laying on the couch. He gets up so I can sit beside him. I reach him the hot chocolate and sit down. He's watching some kind of cartoon. I laugh.

"What?" He says. "I like this show."

"I bet you do, Isaac. I bet you do." I laugh and he sits his drink on the table and I do the same. We lay in silence for a little bit. Isaac is tracing his fingers over my back and I have my head on his chest. His fingers rub over my cheek and his pushes my head up a bit.

"Stop being so pretty." He says and kisses me.

"You stop being so handsome and put a shirt on." I laugh.

"Come on now, you don't really want me to put a shirt on. Who would?" He teases.

"Okay, Mr. Confident. Whatever you say." I kiss his chest and lay my head down again. We lay in silence and I feel my eyes getting heavy as Isaac's fingers continue to trace over my back and side.

~~~~~~~~

I'm recognizing people who vote in my author notes. If you'd like to be recognized, please vote. Love you guys!

Since it's thanksgiving, I decided to do a happy ending to this chapter because why not? I hope you all had a lovely day.

Thanks to: @netflix_and_books, @Nerdgirl0kay, @Secrets19, @MaddyQuidzinski, @Wen1625, @shellyeet, @nobodyinamerica, and @OverratedYadi for voting!!!!!