My Battle with Covid-19 : A memoir

I once read somewhere : Being normal is a luxury, not many can afford it. It really became true in my life.

If I were a plant, April 2021 completely shook me and uprooted me. Never knew one death can change many lives completely and turn my steadily going life upside down!!!

April 1st 2021, Thursday- Just after returning from office, I heard that my uncle died suddenly with heart attack. I met him just the previous sunday, 4 days before his demise, he promised to celebrate my birthday on 4th of April, he was completely normal. His death was too sudden and unexpected. We were shell shocked to hear. We all attended his creation and what we realised later is that, he had Corona without symptoms.

Two days later, my brother(his son) was having severe symptoms of asthma, fever and his oxygen levels were below 70. We immediately rushed him to hospital. He was tested positive first. And admitted at hospital followed by my aunt(uncle's wife) who also was tested positive. Both were admitted in hospital.

The very next day, my parents were tested positive, my another aunt's whole family including 2 year old baby, and one more aunt's family whose daughter was pregnant were attacked.

My cousin sister, my brother's wife( sister in law) were also tested positive. The only hope was, I was tested negitive.

So the scenario was like this..two aunt's families who live in our town were tested positive, my sister, sister in law, parents were tested positive. Each and every relative of us were quantined. And here I was completely clueless about what should I do next. I have read few forward messages but never faced such situation. I dailed few of my friends who recovered from covid and my friend who was a doctor. Collected some information about do's and don'ts, food, precautions, tests to be made.

Listed the required groceries like dry fruits, medicines, sanitizers, face shield, pulse meter and so on. And bought them immediately.

First after hearing that they're positive, I sent them to upstairs for isolation and  changed all the sheets, curtains, doormats and sprayed Dettol disinfectant all over the house. First step done.

Next I took them to a chest clinic, got the blood tests, x-rays done and started a course. Note that my dad had asthma and my mom had sugar and heart complaint. I was very panicked, literally had no support whatsoever as everybody were quarantined. Our neighbors were as useless as hair on the foot. Instead of helping us, they only complained about us going to hospital.

Our maid stopped coming. Cooking, cleaning, washing, bringing groceries, veggies and medicines, taking them to hospital if any emergency persisted became a normal routine for me.

Days were very tiring and nights used to be sleepless. My dad's position was stable but my mom had very severe symptoms. She had high fever, body aches, vomiting sensation, headache, leg pains, fatigue, cough, cold, difficulty in breathing all at once. There were days she laid without having energy to even eat. Those were dreadful days seeing her suffering and unable to take the pain away from her. I have nothing in my hands except believing that she'll get better and praying to God.

Words don't suffice the trauma I had undergone those days. My brother was in Chennai attending his interviews. I couldn't ask him to come sacrificing his career. I was all alone, doing my best right from providing hot water, food, fruits, dry fruits till night.

But I really had no idea what to do if anything emergency happens. I prayed, I cried, I shared my pains with my friends, I begged god that such a thing should never happen.

Mom's condition worsened. She was unable even to talk as her cough was very severe. Rushed her again to hospital, done CT scan and confirmed lung infection. The doctor changed the course. Parallely we started using homeopathic medicine also for cough.