Chapter 24

A couple days went by. Maddie woke up to music blasting.

"Damon." She thought, rolling her eyes. She got dressed in a blue hoodie, jeans, and beige flats. She then combed her hair out and put a headband in.

Once she finished getting ready, Madeline headed downstairs. She went into the room that the music was coming from. She was surprised to see her dad.

Stefan looked up. "Oh. Did I wake you?" Stefan asked, turning the music down. "I'm sorry."

"I had to get up for school anyway." Maddie said. "Are you going?"

"Not yet." Stefan replied. "But I will soon."

Damon came into the room. "Could you turn it up a little bit?" He asked. "It's not annoying yet."

"Sorry." Stefan said.

"Just drink already. This self-detox is not natural." Damon said. "How long did it take you to wean yourself of it the last time you indulged?" Stefan didn't answer. "That's not good." Damon said.

"I'll be fine." Stefan said. "It just takes a little bit of time."

"There's nothing wrong with partaking in a healthy diet of human blood from a blood bank." Damon said. "You're not actually killing anyone."

"I have my reasons." Stefan said. "I hate to break it to you Damon but, I actually have it under complete control."

"Well, then you should just carry on, making the rest of us vampires look bad." Damon said, getting up.

"Have a great day, Stefan." He then left.

Both Stefan and Maddie looked at the glass of blood he left behind. "Damon." Maddie said, knowing he left behind on purpose.

"Oops." Damon said, coming back in. "Forgot something." He walked back out of the room.

"Well, I need to get to school." Maddie said.

"Alright." Stefan said.

Maddie went over to her father and hugged him. "Are you ok?" She asked.

"I'm fine, sweetheart." Stefan said as he hugged his daughter and kissed her on the top of the head. "Have a good day at school."

"Bye Dad." Maddie said. She picked up her bag and walked out of the house.

As she walking into the school, she was stopped by someone. "Maddie, wait up."

Maddie turned to see Elena. "Hey Elena." She greeted.

"How's Stefan doing?" Elena asked as they walked into the school.

"He says he's fine, but I'm not completely convinced." Maddie said.

"When was the last time he drank human blood?" Elena asked. "

A long time ago." Maddie explained. "Lexi helped him, but it took him 30 years to get completely back to himself." Elena nodded. "I admit that it scares me a little to see him like that." Maddie added. "

Is that why you ran off that night?" Elena asked. Maddie nodded. "I'm sure it will get better." Elena said.

"I don't know if it will or not." Maddie said. "But, I guess we'll see."

"I'll see you later." Elena said.

"See ya." Maddie said. She closed her locker and headed to her first class. She walked into her History class and started getting her books out.

"Hey Maddie." Jeremy said, sitting.

"Hey Jeremy." Maddie said. "How are you?"

"I'm good." Jeremy said. "Hey, are you going to Founder's party tonight?"