Chapter 39

When Maddie woke up, she was very excited as today was her birthday. She noticed an outfit laying on her bed. It wasn't hers, so someone must have gotten it for her. She shrugged as she got out of bed and went to take a shower. When she finished in the shower, she changed into the outfit and did her hair and makeup.

Maddie then headed downstairs where she smelled something really good. She walked into the kitchen to find her dad making breakfast.

"Hey!" Stefan said. "Happy birthday, Madeline."

"Thanks Dad." Maddie said. "What's for breakfast?"

"Chocolate chip pancakes with toast." Stefan replied. "You're favorite."

Maddie couldn't keep herself from smiling.

"Have a seat." Stefan said. "It's just about finished."

Maddie poured them both a cup of coffee and sat at the table.

"Listen." Stefan said as he joined her. "What I did was wrong and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not immediately making sure you were okay that day. And I'm sorry that I've spent a lot of time with Elena lately. I certainly don't expect you to forgive me right away, but I hope I can earn back your trust. You're my daughter. I love you so much and I want to make sure you have a good birthday."

Maddie sighed. She really didn't want to be mad at her dad on her birthday.

"I forgive you, Dad, but you really hurt me." She said.

"I know and I'm so sorry." Stefan said. "Come here."

They both stood up and Stefan embraced her in her hug.

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I haven't really been a good father lately and I'll do better." Stefan continued , stroking his daughter's hair. "I love you so much, baby girl."

"I love you too, Dad." Maddie said. They both sat back down and continued to eat.

Damon walked into the kitchen. "Good morning." He greeted them.

"Morning Uncle Damon." Maddie said.

"Happy birthday, princess." Damon said, kissing her on the top of the head. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm good." Maddie answered. "Although, I'm not sure where this outfit came from."

"Oh, that's from me." Stefan answered. "And it goes with this." He pulled out a very nice charm bracelet.

"I love it." Maddie said. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome, sweetheart." Stefan said, placing it around her wrist.

"My gift for you is outside." Damon said.

Maddie followed her uncle outside to see a purple motor bike.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed. "That's mine?"

"Whose else's would it be?" Damon asked.

"Thank you, Uncle Damon." Maddie said.

"You're certainly welcome, sweetheart." Damon said.

"So, what would you like to do today?" Stefan asked.

"I just wanted to have a quiet birthday." Maddie said. She looked at her uncle. "I don't want a huge party like you had for Dad."

"Aww! You're no fun." Damon said.

"I just wanted to go bowling with friends, dinner at the Grill, and hang out at home." Maddie said. "Whatever you'd like." Stefan said. Maddie smiled.

A little bit later, they were at the bowling alley. Jeremy, Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie walked in.

"Hey guys." Maddie greeted.

"Hey Maddie." Bonnie said. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." Maddie said.

"I have something for you." Jeremy said. He pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to her.

"You made a drawing of me?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah." Jeremy said.

"I love it." Maddie said. "Thank you, Jeremy."

"You're welcome." Jeremy said. "Now, come on. Let's have some fun."

As she was bowling, Maddie walked over to her dad.

"You know this is my first birthday without Lexi." She said. "All those years and she never missed my our birthdays."

"I miss her too, sweetheart." Stefan said.

Maddie enjoyed the rest of her birthday with her friends and family.

Once Maddie had gone to bed, Stefan headed downstairs to the basement where they were keeping Elijah. He pulled the dagger out and waited for Elijah to wake up.

AN: Maddie's outfit and gifts