Chapter 6

A couple days went by. It was Friday afternoon. Maddie made her way to the high school football field with her father. She noticed that her father had something in his hand. "What's that?" She asked.

"Just a necklace for Elena." Stefan answered.

Maddie looked closer at the necklace. It was the same necklace that her father had given her to wear when she was younger. He had put vervain in it, so she wouldn't be able to be compelled. "You put vervain in it and are giving it to Elena." Maddie said. "Like you did for me."

"Yes." Stefan said. Maddie nodded. The two of them approached Elena.

"Hey guys." Elena greeted them. "Ooh. Look at you. You look hot in your jersey. And Maddie, you look great in your uniform."

"Thanks." Maddie said.

"What happened?" Stefan asked. "No more cheerleader?"

"I quit." Elena said. "I'm a quitter."

"You're not a quitter." Stefan said. "You suffered a great loss. You're not the same person. You should be looking ahead. You should be starting over. Ok?" Elena nodded. "I hope you don't think this is too soon or too weird." Stefan said. "But, I wanted you to have this." He showed her the necklace.

"Oh my God, Stefan." Elena said. "It's beautiful."

"It's something I've had forever." Stefan said. "I'd like it if you would wear it."

"Of course I'll wear it." Elena said. "Is that rose I smell?"

"Uh. No." Stefan said. "It's an herb." He took the necklace and put it on her.

"Thank you, Stefan." Elena said. "I love it."

"You're welcome." Stefan said.

Caroline came over to them. "And you're not in uniform because." She asked. Elena didn't answer. Caroline turned to Maddie. "You. Get over there with the other cheerleaders." She said.

"I have a name." Maddie said.

"Just go." Caroline said.

Maddie walked away. She saw Jeremy and went over to him. "Hey." She said.

Jeremy turned around. "Hey." He said.

"What are you doing here?" Maddie asked. "I thought you weren't into sports."

"I figured I'd come and see how the team is." Jeremy said.

"Right." Maddie said.

"Or maybe I came to check out the cheerleaders." Jeremy said.

Maddie giggled. "Well, I have to get with the other cheerleaders." She said.

"See ya." Jeremy said. Maddie went over to where the other cheerleaders.

A little bit later, the pep rally was going on. Coach Tanner was giving a speech. Afterwards, everyone started getting ready for the game. Maddie heard a commotion going on. She got over to the commotion just as she saw Tyler punch her father. She noticed Jeremy was there and he was bleeding. She saw him break a beer bottle and aim it towards Tyler. But instead, it struck Stefan in the hand. "Dad!" Maddie said. She immediately realized what she said and corrected it. "I mean Stefan." She said. Elena and Stefan talked and he went over to Maddie. He pulled her over to the side of the school. "I'm sorry." Maddie said. "I didn't mean to call you that."

"It's ok, Madeline." Stefan said. "I know it was because you were in shock."

"Are you ok?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine." Stefan said. "It's already healed." Maddie nodded.

Just then, Damon approached them. "Isn't this nice?" He said. "Stefan joins a team. It's all so, "rah, rah, go team, yeah!"

"Not tonight." Stefan said. "I'm done with you."

"Nice trick with Elena. Let me guess...vervain in the necklace?" Damon said. "I admit, I was a bit surprised. It's been a while since anyone could resist my compulsion. Where'd you get it?"

"Does it matter?" Stefan asked.

"Guess I could just seduce her the old-fashioned way." Damon said. "Or I could just eat her."

"No. You're not gonna hurt her, Damon." Stefan said. "Because deep down inside, there is a part of you that feels for her. I was worried that you had no humanity left inside of you, that you may have actually become the monster that you pretend to be."

"Who's pretending?" Damon asked.

"Then kill me." Stefan said.

"Well, I'm tempted." Damon said.

"You've had lifetimes to do it, and yet, here I am. I'm still alive. And there you are. You're still haunting me. After 145 years. Katherine is dead. And you hate me because you loved her, and you torture me because you still do. And that, my brother, is your humanity." Stefan said. "Plus, I know you would never do that to Madeline. And you know she would never forgive you if you killed me."

"Salvatore!" They heard Coach Tanner say. "We've got a game to play."

"If that's my humanity, then what's this?" Damon asked. They watched as he sped over to Coach Tanner and fed on him. Maddie gasped. Stefan forced Maddie to look at him, so she wouldn't see Damon kill Coach Tanner. Damon sped off. Maddie cried into her father's shoulder.

"Shh. It's ok." Stefan said, holding his daughter close and comforting her. They walked away.

A few minutes later, they were with Elena. "What kind of animal could be doing all this?" Elena asked. "Why would it come out of the woods and attack someone in the middle of town?"

"I don't know." Stefan said, hugging Elena."But, we're fine. That's what matters."
Even though he was hugging Elena, Stefan kept a hold of Maddie to comfort her too.

After everything, they headed back to the house. Damon was there, when they got there. "What the hell was that?" Stefan said.

"Just having some fun." Damon said.

"Those people have lives and loved ones, uncle Damon. Not just anyone who can kill for fun." Maddie said. "Or be used as play things, like you're doing with Caroline."

"Keep it up, Damon. Go ahead. Expose me and get me killed." Stefan said. "But just know that if you do, you'll be leaving Madeline fatherless."

"Stop playing the guilt card on me." Damon said. "If you die, I'll always take care of Madeline and make sure nothing happens to her."

"Like how she saw you kill someone after you promised you would never kill anyone in front of her." Stefan said.

Damon looked down, knowing Stefan was right about this one. "I'm sorry you saw me kill someone, Madeline." He apologized.

"Madeline, why don't you head up to bed." Stefan said. Maddie nodded. Stefan kissed Maddie on the top of the head before she headed upstairs.