Chapter 15

The next morning, Maddie was in her room, packing. "Hey." Stefan said.

Maddie looked up to see him standing in the doorway. "Hey." She said.

"I'm sorry. I know you enjoy when we come back home." Stefan said. "But, I can't put us or Elena in danger."

"I know. I understand." Maddie said. They headed downstairs to the parlor, where Damon was.

"So any idea of where you'll go?" Stefan asked. "I don't know. London, maybe." Damon said. "See some friends."

"You don't have any friends, Damon." Stefan said.

"You're right, Stefan. I only have you and Madeline." Damon said. "So, where are we going?"

"We are not going anywhere." Stefan said. "Madeline and I are gonna live our life as far away from you as possible."

"I'm going to go say goodbye to Jeremy." Maddie said as she grabbed her jacket and walked outside. She headed to the school. She saw him walking towards the entrance. "Jeremy." She called.

Jeremy turned around and walked over to her. "Hey Maddie." He said.

"There's something I need to tell you." Maddie said.

"What is it?" Jeremy asked.

"My brother and I are leaving." Maddie said.

"You are?" Jeremy asked. "But you guys just got here."

"I know, but we need to leave." Maddie said. "I wanted to say goodbye."

"Why are you telling me?" Jeremy asked.

"I know we haven't known each other for very long time." Maddie said. "But, I consider you my friend."

"I think of you as a friend, too." Jeremy said.

"Good bye, Jeremy." Maddie said.

"Bye Maddie." Jeremy said. Maddie gave him a small hug before he walked off.

As Maddie left, she saw her father talking to Elena. From what she could hear, he wasn't saying goodbye to her and whatever they were talking about sounded serious. She walked over to them. "What's going on?" Maddie asked.

"The sheriff came by after you left and told Damon that there was another attack." Stefan explained.

"What!" Maddie said.

"So, you have no idea who it could be?" Elena said.

"No." Stefan said. "But it must be somebody new because leaving a body like that, they're either sloppy or they're trying to send a message."

"And you're sure it's not Damon?" Elena asked.

"Well, I'm never sure about Damon." Stefan said. "But he's been trying to keep a low profile lately, so it's just doesn't make any sense to me.

"So what are you gonna do?" Maddie asked.

"Damon is tracking them right now." Stefan said. He looked at Elena. "Look, I promised you the truth, so I wanted to tell you. I want you to be careful."

Elena nodded. "When I saw you, I thought you were coming to say goodbye." She said.

"Not yet." Stefan said. "Let's go, Maddie." Maddie nodded and followed her father.

Later that evening, Maddie and Stefan were at the high school, where there was a career fair. They saw Elena with Matt. She looked in their direction and walked over to them.

"I'm guessing you're not here to plan the path for your future." Elena said. "You're looking out for me."

"Hope that's ok." Stefan said. They walked over to a table. "You know I wanted to be a doctor before everything happened." Stefan said. but, uh, then I couldn't, 'cause.."