Chapter 11

The next morning, Maddie was getting ready for school. There was a knock on her door. "Come in." She said. Her father walked into her room.

"Hey." Stefan said. "I'm not going to school today, so neither are you."

"Why?" Maddie asked. "I'll be ok to go to school myself."

"They know about us and I don't want you going anywhere alone or without me." Stefan answered. "I know you were too young to remember this, but the last time people knew about us, it ended very badly. Understand?" Maddie nodded. "I don't want you getting hurt or killed." Stefan said.

"I know. I know." Maddie said.

"Do you want me to make you some breakfast?" Stefan asked.

"Yes please." Maddie replied. Stefan nodded before walking out of the room.

Maddie started to get dressed. When she finished, she headed downstairs to the kitchen. There was plate of French toast and a glass of orange juice on the table. She sat down and started to eat. Maddie could hear the conversation going on in the other room, but didn't pay much attention to it. As she was cleaning up her breakfast, Maddie heard Damon mention her.

"Don't listen to him. He walks on a moral plane way out of our eye line. He already corrupted his own daughter's life with that viewpoint." Damon said. "I say snatch, eat, erase."

"Leave me out this, Uncle Damon." Maddie said as she walked into the room.

"Wait, Maddie's your daughter?" Vicki asked.

"That's beside the point." Stefan said.

"And what is the point, Stefan?" Damon asked.

"The point is." Stefan started. "We choose our own path. Our values and our actions, they define who we are."

"Okay, count deepak." Damon said. "I'm outta here."

"Can I have some more?" Vicki asked.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Maddie headed downstairs to answer it, but saw Damon answer it instead. Elena was at the door. "Is Stefan here?" Elena asked.

"Yep." Damon said.

"Where is he?" Elena asked.

"And good morning to you, little miss " I'm on a mission"." Damon said.

"Hello Elena." Maddie greeted.

"Hi Maddie." Elena said. "Where's Stefan?"

"He's with Vicki." Maddie said. "How's Jeremy?"

"He's worried about Vicki and I don't know what to tell him." Elena said.

"I'm sorry." Maddie said.

"I know you mean well and I know that you would never hurt him." Elena started. "But, I don't think you should hang out with him anymore."

"I understand." Maddie said. Elena started calling for Stefan. Maddie headed up to the room. She usually went up there just to hang out.

Later that evening, Maddie was still on the roof. She heard her dad, uncle, and, Vicki come outside. She watched them in the yard. "What are you doing?" Stefan asked.

"She's been cooped up in your room all day." Damon said.

"No." Stefan said. "Now's not the time for this."

"If you're gonna teach her. Teach her." Damon said. "Show her what it's all about."

"Bad idea, Damon." Stefan said. "She could hurt someone."

"She's a vampire, Stefan. She should know the perks." Damon said.

"Like what?" Vicki asked.

"Like this." Damon said as vampire sped behind her.

"Whoa." Vicki said. "How did you do that?"

"Come on Vicki, live a little." Damon said. Vicki vampire sped and ran off "My bad." Damon said.

Stefan looked up at Maddie and motioned for her to come down. Maddie hopped down from the roof and land gracefully next to her father. "Come on. Let's go find, Vicki." Stefan said. Maddie followed after her father. They followed Vicki's scent to her house. Stefan knocked on the door and Matt answered it.

"Stefan. Maddie. What are you doing here?" Matt asked.

"Is Vicki home?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah." Matt replied.

"Can I see her, please?" Stefan asked.

"Don't let him in." Vicki said. "I don't want him in here."

"Did he do something to you?" Matt asked.

"No, I just don't want him in here." Vicki said.

"Just let me come in so I can explain myself." Stefan said.

"Look." Matt said. "I don't know what's going on but I think you should leave now."

"Matt." Stefan said.

"Please, now, Stefan." Matt said before closing the door. Stefan sighed.

"What now?" Maddie asked.

"To the school." Stefan answered. "I have a feeling she's going to go." Maddie nodded.

A few minutes later, Maddie and Stefan were walking around the school. They saw Vicki walking through the halls. Stefan pulled her into a classroom. "You're following me now?" Vicki asked.

"You didn't really give me a much of choice." Stefan said. "You shouldn't be here Vicki. Crowds like this, it makes it even harder for you to keep yourself under control."

"I'm fine." Vicki said.

"Really?" Stefan said. "No headache? Your stomach's not screaming at you? You're not feeling lightheaded or anxious or cranky like if someone looks at you the wrong way you could just rip their head off? Do you wanna know what that's called? It's called hunger and it's only gonna get worse and worse every minute that you pretend like it's not controlling you."

"Mmm hmm." Vicki said.

Just then, Elena and Matt came up to them. "Thank God."Elena said.

"What's wrong?" Stefan asked.

"I lost track of Jeremy." Elena replied.

"What's going on?" Matt asked.

"Hey. uh, everything's fine." Stefan said.

"Matt, he won't leave me alone." Vicki said.

"You need to back off, man." Matt said.

"Matt, it's okay." Elena said.

"No, it's not okay." Matt said. He looked at Stefan. "What the hell is your problem?"

"Stefan. She's gone." Elena said. They looked around and saw Vicki wasn't here.

"I'm trying to help her." Stefan said to Matt. They started looking for Vicki and Jeremy.

After a little bit, Maddie heard voices. They sounded like Elena, Jeremy, and Vicki. "Dad, they're outside." She said. The two of them went out a side door.

"Don't get too close." Stefan said to Maddie. Stefan headed in the direction of the voices.

All of a sudden, Maddie sees Vicki attack Elena. She rushed over and pulled Vicki off of Elena. "Madeline, look away." Stefan said. Madeline did so. She knew that he was going to kill Vicki. Her father always tried to keep her from seeing anyone die or get killed. Stefan came over to her. "Are you ok?" He asked.

"Yeah." Maddie said.

"Ok." Stefan said. Go back to the house. I'll be there soon." Maddie nodded before speeding off.

After a little bit, Stefan and Damon came home. "Is Jeremy and Elena ok?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah." Damon answered.

"What happened?" Maddie asked.

"Damon compelled Jeremy to forget what he saw tonight." Stefan replied. Maddie nodded.