Chapter 10

When Stefan opened the door, Elena was standing there. "What are you?" Elena demanded. Stefan didn't answer. "What are you?" Elena asked, again.

"You know, already." Stefan said.

"No, I don't." Elena said.

"Yes, you do." Stefan said. "Or you wouldn't be here."

"It's not possible." Elena said. "It can't be."

"Everything you know. And every belief that you have is about to change." Stefan said. "Are you ready for that?"

"What are you?" Elena asked a third time.

"I'm a vampire." Stefan answered.

"I shouldn't have come." Elena said, walking away.

"No. Please stay." Stefan said. Elena started to run, but Stefan sped in front of her.

"How did you do that?" Elena asked.

"Please don't be afraid of me." Stefan said.

"Let me go." Elena said.

"Elena, there's things that you have to know and understand." Stefan said.

"Let me go!" Elena pleaded.

"Elena, please." Stefan said. Elena ran to her car, got in, and drove off.

"Stay here." Stefan said to Maddie. "You're going after her?" Maddie asked. Stefan didn't answer as he sped off. Maddie walked back into the house and waited for her father to come back.

After a little bit, she got a call from Stefan. "Come to Elena's house." He said.

"Ok." Maddie said. "I'll be right there." She hung up and sped to Elena's house. "What are you doing here?" Maddie asked, when she got there.

"I'm keeping an eye on Elena in case Damon comes by." Stefan said.

"Why am I here, then?" Maddie asked. "I don't want you to leave my side unless I say to." Stefan said. "With Damon out, who knows what he'll do and I don't want something happening to you. Understand?"

"Yes." Maddie answered.

The next day, Maddie and Stefan were at the Mystic Grill. Elena had asked Stefan to meet her here. Just then, Elena came up to them. "You said you would explain everything. That's why I asked you to meet me here." Elena said. "When you Google "vampire" you get a world of fiction. What's the reality?"

"I can tell you whatever you wanna know." Stefan said.

"Could we do this alone?" Elena asked, looking at Maddie.

"Sorry, but she stays here with me." Stefan said. Elena nodded.

"What do you want to know?" Stefan asked.

"I know you eat garlic." Elena said.

"Yes." Stefan said.

"And somehow, sunlight's not an issue." Elena said.

"We have rings to protect us." Stefan said. Elena continued to ask questions on whether things were real or not.

"Are Maddie and Damon ones too?" Elena asked.

"Yes." Stefan said. "Also, there's something you should know about Madeline."

"What?" Elena asked.

"She's not my sister." Stefan started. "Madeline is my daughter."

Elena just stared at them. "You said you don't kill to survive." She said, ignoring what Stefan said.