Chapter 29

A few days went by. Maddie woke up one day hearing voices. She assumed it was her father and uncle, but she also heard Elena and Alaric's voices, as well.

"What's going on?" Maddie asked.

"Alaric, Elena, and Damon are going to Duke to look through Isobel's stuff and see if she has anything on werewolves." Stefan explained.

"Why?" Maddie asked.

"Because we think the Lockwood's are werewolves." Elena answered.

"You think the Lockwood's are werewolves?" Maddie asked.

"Well, there's something supernatural about them." Damon said. "At the Founder's Day celebration, the Gilbert device affected both the mayor and Tyler, but vervain didn't affect the mayor."

"And at the carnival, Mason had inhuman strength when I arm wrestled him." Stefan added.

"So, there's something weird or off about them." Maddie said.

"That's what we're trying to find out." Damon said. Maddie nodded, understanding.

"I'm going to Elena's house with her." Stefan said. "I'll be back in a little bit."

"Ok." Maddie said.

The four of them left and Maddie was left to herself. She went into the kitchen to make some breakfast. While she ate, she got a text message from Jeremy.

"Hey. There's going to be a party at the swimming hole and was wondering if you wanted to come hang out." He texted.

"Sounds fun." Maddie sent back. "I'll meet you there."

After she finished eating, Maddie went to get ready for the swimming hole. She changed into a swim suit.

Maddie heard a door open and close and figured her dad was home

Maddie heard a door open and close and figured her dad was home. She grabbed a towel and headed downstairs.

"Where are you headed to in that?" Stefan asked.

"There's a bunch of people going to the swimming hole and Jeremy asked me to go." Maddie explained.

"You seem to have gotten closer with Jeremy lately." Stefan said.

"Would you stop with that." Maddie said, laughing. "We're just friends."

"Oh, so that's how it is." Stefan said, chuckling.

"It's no different than you and Lexi." Maddie said.

"So, he's your new best friend?" Stefan asked.

"You know I will always love Lexi." Maddie started, but Stefan stopped her.

"I know that. I was just messing around with you." Stefan said. "I'm glad you have Jeremy as a friend.  He's a good kid."

"Yeah." Maddie agreed.

"Speaking of Jeremy, I made him a new vervain bracelet." Stefan said. "Can you give it to him?"

"Yep." Maddie said, taking the bracelet.

"How are you doing today?" Stefan asked.

"Dad, I'm fine." Maddie answered. "Can you stop worrying, please?"

"You're my daughter. I'll always worry about you." Stefan said. "It's my job."

"So, what do you have planned today?" Maddie asked.

"I'm going to help Caroline with all the vampire stuff." Stefan said.

Maddie nodded. "Well, I'll see you later." She said.

"Have fun." Stefan said.

A little bit later, Maddie was hanging out with Jeremy. "I have something for you." Maddie said.

"What?" Jeremy asked. Maddie handed him a small pouch. "What's this?" He asked, opening the pouch and taking out the bracelet.

"It's laced with vervain." Maddie explained. "It'll keep vampires from compelling you."

"Thanks." Jeremy said as he put the bracelet on.

"You're welcome." Maddie said, smiling.

"What happens when you touch vervain?" Jeremy asked.

"It burns us." Maddie replied. "And before you ask, I'm not showing you."

"No." Jeremy said. "I wouldn't do that to you."

"Thanks." Maddie said.

"I can't believe Stefan's your Dad and not your brother." Jeremy said.

"Yeah." Maddie said. "It's a little weird calling him Stefan, instead of Dad, in public."

"When was Stefan turned into a vampire?" Jeremy asked.

"1864." Maddie answered.

"During the Battle of Willow Creek?" Jeremy asked.

"The Battle of Willow Creek was really the town council gathering and killing vampires." Maddie said.

"Were you there?" Jeremy asked.

"I was born in 1864. A few months before all of that happened." Maddie explained. "I don't remember any of it."

"So, when you were turned?" Jeremy asked.

"In 1880 when I was 16." Maddie answered. "I asked my Dad to turn me."

"So, why do you and your Dad feed on animals?" Jeremy asked. "I thought vampires feed on humans."

"Most of them do." Maddie said. "My Dad's just sees it differently."

"Well, I think that's cool." Jeremy said. Maddie smiled. They continued to hang out at the swimming hole.

AN: To get Maddie's story going, I'm going to be skipping ahead a few episodes into the season. The next chapter will start when Elena was taken after the Masquerade Ball. Maddie will have been taken too. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. I'm sorry if it does.