Chapter 36

WARNING: There is some strong language in this chapter.

People soon started to arrive. Soon, Elijah wasn't the only one not there. The doorbell rang. Maddie thought it was Elijah, but it turned out to be John Gilbert.

"What the hell is he doing here?" She asked.

"John, what a surprise." Damon said. "Now leave."

"When Jenna told me she was coming to a dinner party for Elijah, I decided I couldn't miss out on all the fun and games." John said.

"There aren't going to be any games tonight, John." Alaric said. "It's just a friendly dinner party."

"What he said." Damon said.

"If he's staying, then I'm leaving." Maddie said.

"Relax. I'm not going to hurt you." John said. "Stefan made it clear what would happen if I went near you."

"I'll believe it when I see it." Maddie said. Another thing Maddie was mad at her father for was bringing John Gilbert back to Mystic Falls.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. It was Elijah. "Might I say, you look stunning, Ms. Salvatore." Elijah greeted, kissing Maddie's hand.

"Why thank you, Mr. Mikaelson." Maddie said, smiling.

A little bit later, everyone was eating at the table. Maddie was sitting next to Elijah.

"I hate to break it to you Damon, but according to Elijah, your family is so not a founder of this town." Jenna said. 

"Do tell." Damon said.

"Well, as I was telling Jenna earlier." Elijah started. "A faction of settlers migrated from Salem after the witch trials in the 1690s. Over the next hundred years, they developed this community where they could feel safe from persecution."

"There's no tangible proof that their were witches in Salem." Andie said.

"Andie's a journalist." Damon said. "Big on facts."

"Well, the folklore says that there was this wave of anti witch hysteria. Broke out in the neighboring settlement." Elijah explained. "So, these witches were rounded up. They were tied against stakes and burned together." "Better not repeat this to the historical society." Jenna said.

"It's starting to sound a little bit like a ghost story to me." John said.

"Shut up, John." Maddie said.

"So, why do you want to know the locations of these alleged massacres?" Damon asked.

"A historians curiosity, of course." Elijah said.

"The gentleman should take their drinks into the study." Andie said.

"I must admit." Elijah said. "The food was almost as wonderful as the company."

"I like you." Andie said to Elijah. Everyone started to leave the table, but Alaric stopped them.

"Wait. We forgot about dessert." He said.

Both Jenna and Andie went into the kitchen. Before Maddie realized what was happening, she watched Alaric stab Elijah in the back with a dagger. She gasped in shock.

"Now get him out of here before Jenna comes back." Alaric said.

After that, everyone left and Damon brought Elijah down to the basement.

"What was that for?" Maddie asked.

"He had to die." Damon said. "Why do you care, anyway?"

"I like him." Maddie said.

"Sorry Maddie." Damon said.

Maddie went down to the basement. A couple tears rolled down her face. But after a little bit, she was surprised to see Elijah wake up. "Elijah!" She exclaimed.

Elijah put his finger to his lips. "Come on." He whispered. They snuck out of the house without Damon noticing.

"Where are we going?" Maddie asked.

"To find Elena." Elijah replied.

"She's at her family's lake house, but I don't know where that is." Maddie said.

"I'll track her scent." Elijah said.

"Why do you need to find Elena?" Maddie asked.

"The agreement I made with her was broken when Alaric tried to kill me." Elijah explained. "She will have to pay the consequences." At this point, Maddie could care less what happened to Elena.

When they got to the lake house, Elena tried to renegotiate with Elijah, but killed him instead. "No!" Maddie said. They left the dagger in, so she thought that Elijah stayed dead if the dagger stayed in. She rushed forward to take the dagger out, but her father held her back.

"Do not take the dagger out." He said.

"I hate you!" Maddie exclaimed, speeding off.

"Madeline!" Stefan called after her, but she didn't come back.

When Stefan and Elena arrived at the boarding house, Stefan continued to call for his daughter.

Maddie came downstairs just to shut him up. "I don't want to speak to you ever again!" She said.

"Can you tell me why you've been so upset with me lately?" Stefan asked.

"The fact that you don't know why I'm upset with you shows how little you care about me." Maddie said.

"That is not true." Stefan said.

"Ever since the kidnapping, you've barely paid any attention to me and have paid more attention to Elena." Maddie said. "She was not the only person that was kidnapped that. I was kidnapped as well! And when you rescued us, you didn't give a shit about me and went straight to Elena! I'm your daughter for fuck's sake!"

"Watch the language." Stefan warned.

"I get it. Elena needs more protection because she's human, but I'm still your daughter and I needed you at that moment! Not Uncle Damon. Not Jeremy. You! Two people who care about me made sure that I was ok, except for the one person that I wanted to be comforted by! Who's supposed to comfort me!" Maddie continued. "And you might not have known this, but I like Elijah. Like I have feelings for him. He told me that I was his mate/soulmate. You might be in the most perfect relationship you've ever had, but I found the first guy that I've had feelings for and you ruined that! So, that's why I'm upset with you!"

Stefan stood there, speechless. Maddie sped up to her room. Stefan debated following her, but decided to give her some space.