Chapter 4

The next day, Maddie woke up and got out of bed. She grabbed a towel and made her way into the bathroom. She turned the shower on, undressed, and stepped into the water. After she finished in the shower, Maddie stepped out and wrapped a towel around her body. She used her blow dryer to dry her hair and walked back into her room. She looked through her closet for an outfit. She decided on a purple flannel shirt with jeans and brown boots.

"Maddie, breakfast is ready." Stefan called from the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming." Maddie said. She grabbed her bag and headed downstairs.

"Morning sweetheart." Stefan greeted her with a kiss on the top of the head.

"Morning Dad." Maddie said. "How are you this morning?" Stefan asked.

"I'm good." Maddie answered as she grabbed a blueberry muffin and sat at the table. "So, what are you going to do about that girl last night?"

"I don't know yet." Stefan replied. "But, I'll come up with something." Maddie nodded. They continued to eat. "Come on. Let's get going." Stefan said, after a few minutes. Maddie picked up her bag and followed her dad outside and got in the car. Stefan drove to the school.

When they arrived, Stefan pulled into a spot and they got out of the car. As they walked towards the entrance, Maddie saw Jeremy with Tyler. She listened in on their conversation. "Hey Tyler." Jeremy said. "I was just wondering how Vicki is doing, since you guys are so close?"

"She's fine." Tyler said. "Now, go away."

"How bad is she? Do they know what killed her? "Is she going to make a full recovery?" Jeremy continued to ask questions.

"Walk away, Gilbert." Tyler said. "Final warning."

"No, this is your final warning, dick." Jeremy said. Maddie rushed over to them before things could get out of hand. "I'm sick of watching you play Vicki. If you hurt her one more time, I swear to God, I will kill you." said Jeremy.

"Did you hear that?" Tyler asked. "I think that was a death threat."

"Jeremy." Maddie said, pulling him aside.

"Hey." Jeremy said. They heard Tyler and his friends laughing at Jeremy.

"Don't let him get to you." Maddie said. "But, you don't need to provoke him, either."

"I just don't like how he treats Vicki." Jeremy said.

Maddie noticed her father listening to Elena and Matt's conversation. "Don't move." Maddie said. "I'll be right back." Jeremy nodded. Maddie went over to her father. "Are you ok?" She asked.

"Yeah." Stefan said. "I'm going to go to the hospital."

"Do you want me to go with you?" Maddie asked.

"No. Stay here." Stefan said. "I'll come find you later."

Maddie nodded and walked back over to Jeremy. "Come on." She said. "Let's get to class." Maddie headed into the school with Jeremy.

At lunch, Maddie walked into the cafeteria. She grabbed some lunch and searched for her father. She found him at a table. She walked over to him and sat down. "Why did you go to the hospital?" Maddie asked.

"I heard Matt say to Elena that Vicki told him a vampire attacked her." Stefan said. "I went to convince her that it was an animal."

"Did it work?" Maddie asked.

"I don't know." Stefan said.

"You better hope it does." Maddie said. "Otherwise, we have a huge problem on our hands."