Chapter 5

The next morning, Maddie was still up on the roof. She had been up there all night. She had gotten dressed for school and had gone back up to the roof. It was her favorite place to just hang out.

"Madeline, let's get going to school." She heard her father say. She saw him standing in the driveway, looking up at her. Maddie jumped off the roof and landed, gracefully, on the ground. Stefan handed Maddie her bag and a muffin. She took them from him. They sped to the high school. When they arrived, they saw Elena and Bonnie. "Good morning, Elena. Good morning, Bonnie." Stefan greeted them.

"Hey guys." Maddie said.

"Um. I'm going to go find Caroline." Bonnie said. "I'll see you guys later." She walked away from them.

"Bonnie. Wait." Elena said. Bonnie didn't answer as she continued to walk away.

"She doesn't like us, does she?" Stefan asked.

"She doesn't know you." Elena said. "She's my best friend. She's just looking out for me." Stefan nodded. They started walking towards the entrance. "Here's What we're going to do." Elena said. "Are you free tonight?"

"Yes." Stefan said.

"Good. Come over for dinner tonight. 8'oclock." Elena said. "You two will spend some time together and she'll see what a great guy you are."

"Sounds good." Stefan said.

"Maddie, you're welcome to join, if you want." Elena said.

"Ok." Maddie said. Maddie walked ahead of Elena and Stefan as they slowed down. She walked into the school and saw Jeremy. "Hey Jeremy." Maddie greeted.

"Hey." Jeremy said.

"So, apparently Elena is having a dinner with my brother and Bonnie." Maddie said. "Would want to have dinner together at the grill and hang out?"

"Like a date?" Jeremy asked.

"No." Maddie said. "Just hanging out."

"Sure." Jeremy said.

"Sounds fun." Jeremy said.

"Great." Maddie said, smiling. "I'll see you later."

"See ya." Jeremy said.

Maddie made her way to her locker to put her stuff away. As she walked down the hallway, she saw Elena and Stefan. "What are you guys talking about?" She asked them.

"I'm trying to get your brother to try out for the football team." Elena said.

"You should." Maddie said.

"Nope." Stefan said. "I don't think so."

"Come on." Maddie said. "You're a great football player."

"Well, if I try out for football." Stefan started. "Then, you have to try out for cheerleading."

"Oh no." Maddie said. "Not happening."

"You cheer?" Elena asked.

"I used to." Maddie said.

"You both should try out." Elena said.

"I'll think about it." Maddie said. "I got to get to class. I'll see you guys later." She walked off to her first class.

After school, Maddie made her way out to the football field. She saw the cheerleaders off to the side. She walked over to them. "You came!" Elena said.

"Yeah." Maddie said.

"Good." Elena said. "If you weren't going to show, I probably would've bailed." Maddie laughed.