Chapter 3

The next evening, Maddie was sitting in the living room reading.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah. I was going to go." Maddie said.

"Ok." Stefan said. "I was going to leave soon, so go get ready." Maddie nodded and headed up to her room. She grabbed a towel and hopped into the school. After, she walked back into her room and looked through her closet for an outfit. Maddie changed into a dress with a black top and plaid bottoms and black boots. She applied a little makeup and put a grey beanie on. She grabbed a sweater in case she got cold.

"Ready to go?" Stefan asked as Maddie came downstairs

"Yep." Maddie said.

"Where are you two going?" Zach asked.

S"A party." Stefan said. "We'll be back later tonight." Maddie and Stefan walked out of the house and got in the car. Stefan started it drove to where the party was. When they got there, they got out of the car and walked over to where the party was. Maddie immediately started looking for Jeremy.

"No drinking." Stefan said. "I don't need you getting in trouble."

"Don't worry, Dad." Maddie said. Just then, Caroline came up to them.

"Hey. You made it." She said.

"We did." Stefan said.

"Let's get you a drink." Caroline said. Maddie could tell that Caroline was trying to hard. Stefan hesitated.

"Oh, come on." Caroline said as she pulled him away, completely ignoring Maddie. Maddie rolled her eyes and continued to look around for Jeremy. She found him by himself, with a beer.

"Hey." Maddie greeted him.

"Hey." Jeremy said. "Want a drink?"

"Uhh. We're underage." Maddie said.

"Who cares." Jeremy said.

"No thanks." Maddie said. She noticed that something was bothering Jeremy. "Hey, are you ok?"

"Not really, but don't worry about it." Jeremy said.

"Tell me." Maddie said.

"I don't want to bother you with my problems." Jeremy said.

"I want to know." Maddie said. "Talk to me."

"My sister won't get off my back." Jeremy said as they started walking towards the woods.

"You know she does it because she cares about you." Maddie said.

"I know, but she's annoying me." Jeremy said.

"So, why is she annoying you?" Maddie asked.

"My parents died a few months ago." Jeremy said. Maddie was quiet.