Chapter 14

After school, Maddie was hanging out with Jeremy at the Grill. They were playing pool and Maddie was winning. "I forgot how good you were at this." Jeremy said.

"Want me to go easy on you?" Maddie asked.

"No, it's fine." Jeremy said.

"Hey Jer." They heard someone say.

"Oh. Hey." Jeremy said. Maddie saw a young woman approach them. "Maddie, this is my aunt Jenna. Jenna, this is Stefan's sister, Maddie."

"It's nice to meet you, Maddie." Jenna said.

"You too." Maddie said.

"I was going to see if wanted to have dinner here." Jenna said.

"Sure." Jeremy said. "Is it ok if Maddie joins us?"

"If she wants to." Jenna said.

"I'd love to join you guys." Maddie said.

"Great." Jenna said. "Let's grab a table."

"I call a rematch another time." Jeremy said as they walked over to a table.

"So, you want to lose?" Maddie said. "You're just wasting your time."

"Cocky, are we?" Jeremy asked.

Maddie laughed. "You should see me play darts." She said. Jeremy chuckled.

While they ate, they saw Alaric sitting at a table. "I like a man who can dine alone." Jenna said. "A quiet strength."

"I thought you were still in that whole Logan-depression thing." Jeremy said.

"I've sworn off men forever, but it doesn't mean I can't observe them from a safe distance." Jenna said.

"Well, I can introduce you." Jeremy said.

"You know him?" Jenna asked.

"He's the new history teacher." Maddie said.

"He actually gave some extra credit to do to help my grade." Jeremy said.

"What do you have to do?" Jenna asked.

"I have to write a paper." Jeremy said.

"On what?" Jenna asked.

"Anything." Jeremy said.

"Have you picked a topic?" Maddie asked.

"Not yet." Jeremy said. "It's gotta be local and non-internet research."

"Well, you've got all your dad's stuff." Jenna said.

"What stuff?" Jeremy asked.

"All those journals that are boxed up in the closet." Jenna said. "You can use those to right your paper."

"Oh right." Jeremy said. "Thanks Aunt Jenna."

Just then, Alaric came over to them. "Mr. Saltzman." Jeremy said.

"Jeremy. What's up, man?" Alaric greeted. He looked at Maddie. "And you're Madeline, right?"

Maddie nodded. "Hey Mr. Saltzman." She said.

"Mr. Saltzman, this is my aunt, Jenna." Jeremy said.

Alaric shook Jenna's hand. "Alaric Saltzman." He greeted.

"It's nice to meet you." "Jeremy was just telling me about his paper." Jenna said. "Thanks for giving him another chance."

"It was my first day. I wanted to make a good impression." Alaric said. Jenna nodded. "Well, I'll let you guys get back to your meal." Alaric said. "Again, it's nice to meet you, Jenna."

"You too." Jenna said. Alaric walked off and the three of them continued to eat.

"I think I'm going to head home and get started on that paper." Jeremy said.

"Ok." Jenna said.

"Maddie, would you like to come with?" Jeremy asked.

"Sure." Maddie said.

"Have fun." Jenna said.

Jeremy and Maddie stood up. They walked out of the Grill and headed to the Gilbert residence. When they walked in, Elena and Caroline screamed. "What the hell." Jeremy said. Caroline ran out of the house and Elena started calling someone.

Maddie heard it was her father. "Elena, what's going on?" She asked, once Elena got off the phone.

"Emily is possessing Bonnie." Elena explained. "She's headed to Fell's Church. I'm going to help Stefan find her."

"Do you want me to help?" Maddie asked.

"No. Stay here with Jeremy." Elena said. "I'll let Stefan know you're here."

"Ok." Maddie said. Elena ran out of the house.

"Is something wrong?" Jeremy asked.

"No." Maddie said. "Uhh. Do you need help find those boxes?"

"Yeah." Jeremy said. Maddie followed Jeremy to a closet. They found a box with journals in them and brought it to the kitchen. They spent some time looking through them.

After a little bit, they heard Jenna come home. Alaric was with her. "It's getting late." Maddie said. "I should get home."

"Ok." Jeremy said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Maddie nodded before heading towards the door. "Bye Jenna. Bye Mr. Saltzman." She said.

"Bye Maddie." Jenna said.

Maddie went outside. Her phone rang as she walked towards the woods. It was her father. "Hey Dad." She answered.

"Where are you?" Stefan asked.

"Heading home from Jeremy's." Maddie replied.

"We need to talk when you get home." Stefan said.

"Ok. I'll be home in a minute." Maddie said before hanging up. She sped to the boarding house. "Dad." She called when she walked into the house.

"In my room." She heard her dad say.

Maddie went up to her father's room "What's up?" She asked.

"We need to leave Mystic Falls." Stefan said.

"What?" Maddie said. "Why?"

"It's too dangerous for us, Elena, and Jeremy." Stefan said.

"But we just got here." Maddie said.

"I know, but it was a mistake coming home." Stefan said.

Maddie nodded. "Can I at least say good bye to Jeremy?" She asked. 

"Yeah." Stefan said. "Why don't you head to bed."

"Ok." Maddie said. "Night Dad."

"Good night, sweetheart." Stefan said as he kissed her on the top of the head.

Maddie went to her room. She got ready for bed and went to sleep.