36

We made our way back home slowly and I had too much coffee so I didn't end up going to sleep, we put the TV on and ended up cuddling. We stayed like this for a while, until the doorbell rang. I looked up at Tobi.

'did you invite anyone over?'

'nope, what time did you tell everyone to come at?'

I checked my watch, it read 11.14am 'I asked them to come after 6. I wonder who's there, I'll go and look.' I looked through the peephole and sighed. I turned around and looked at Tobi, it's my auntie, but she's brought my uncle and cousins as well.'

'are you gonna open it?' he asked

'yeah i guess so'

I opened the door and smiled, my auntie bought me some flowers and a cake. 'happy birthday!' she hugged me.

'thanks auntie' i moved out of the way so she could come in. A naturally big smile appeared on my face when I saw my uncle 'hi uncle, it's been too long'

he smiled and looked at me 'look at you, you're all grown up now' he pulled me in for a hug.

I then saw my cousins, 'forget about me, look at you two, look at how much you've grown' I smiled and hugged them.

When we walked in, my cousin Maya who was 13, pulled my sleeve. 'wait that's your boyfriend??' I smiled at her 'yeeees'. 'Omg i watch him on youtube!!!'

'haha tobi, we have a fangirl in the building' Maya shoved me, out of embarrassment.

I made everyone tea and I gave my cousins some juice. After sitting down my uncle was the first to talk. 'so Abi, how are you getting on,? are you well? it's been too long'

'I'm okay uncle, thank you, i'm sorry i didn't get in contact you know how it was i needed to heal and then it just felt wrong, i felt guilty almost getting in contact with you guys again and the longer i left it, the harder it became' i looked at the floor unsure of what he would say. He took me by surprise.

'as long as you're happy now, that's all the at matters, you are like my daughter to me' he said with a smile on his face

I looked up and glanced at Tobi 'yeah i am happy now uncle, much better' I couldn't help it, his words touched me a tear ran down my cheek, i quickly wiped it away.

After a while of just chatting normally, my auntie went into the kitchen and came out again carrying a cake. she smiled 'it's been years since we celebrated your birthday'

I smiled, but in my mind i questioned why she was being so nice today, I pushed those thoughts away and enjoyed the moment. We took lots of photos together and it warmed my heart to see Tobi and my uncle getting along together. It was all going so well until my auntie brought up the fact that I was still together with Tobi.

'so, you two are still dating huh?'

I rolled my eyes at her 'yes auntie, we are'

'I thought i told you to stop, he's not tamil he will never be accepted into our family'

To my surprise my uncle stepped in 'shanthi...it doesn't matter that Tobi isn't Tamil, look at how happy Abi is, that is what's important. I mean yes i didn't know what to expect when you told me, but he treats her well and they are happy, what more do you want?'

she made a 'hmmmh' noise and sat back. I smiled at my uncle. We sat there talking as normal and then they said that they had to go. I hugged everyone, when it got to my uncle, I gave him an extra big hug and whispered to him  'thank you for at least trying to get to know tobi and being accepting of him'

he let go of me 'of course abi, anything for you, I like him a lot he is a nice boy.' After a few moments he tucked my hair back 'you look more and more like your mum as you have grown up, she would be so proud of you Abi'

I smiled at him.

'You must come back home to us one day, bring Tobi and stay in contact with us Abi! it was nice seeing you'

'see you soon uncle' i smiled and shut the door behind me.

I walked over to Tobi and hugged him, tears of happiness formed. 'That was the strangest, yet the best visit ever' i smiled. 'it made me feel so good seeing you and my uncle get on' I looked up at him and smiled.

'I'm glad you're happy Abi, I can definitely tell how happy you are' he kissed me on the forehead.