Chapter nine

Weirdly, Sapnap didn't bring me lunch at noon. I wondered where he was, where all three of them were. It was late in the afternoon, early evening, when someone opened the door. 

"Finally!" I sat up, expecting to see Sapnap, instead I was met with Dream with his sword slung over his shoulders. My voice instantly went cold when I saw him. 

"Where were you guys all day?" 

Dream laughed and hung the sword onto his belt. "I'm glad to know you missed us." 

I ignored him. He tutted. "I see you're not very talkative today. Well, I bet you'd definitely have something to say when you hear about the little chat I had with Wilbur today."

My head immediately shot up. Dream tilted his head and I just know that he was smirking under the mask. 

"You spoke to Wilbur?" 

Dream nodded and he spoke with a hint of excitement mixed with cockiness in his voice. "I did. And that wasn't even the best part. Guess who else was there?" He looked at my blank face "Tommy."

I felt my heart speeding up a bit. I knew that if Tommy was there, he would've done something stupid. Why did Wilbur bring him along to the negotiation?

"They have been demanding to meet me for days actually, to discuss you. Let's just say that Tommy is rather... determined to get you back." He sneered. Not only was my heart racing but so was my head. God, what did you do Tommy?

"He seemed very prepared to risk pretty much everything to get you back, did you know that?" 

I glared at him. I knew that he was just dancing around the subject because he liked the reaction that came out of me. 

"Stop stalling and just get to the point." 

"Tommy has challenged me to a bow duel." He said calmly. My heart dropped and I felt sick. My breathing seemed uneven and my voice was barely a whisper. 

"When?" 

"Tomorrow, at dawn. No armor, ten paces. A fight to the death I suppose." He paused, clearly enjoying my panicked state. "If he wins, they get you back and I will grant L'manburg their independence. If I win, I keep you and Tommy has to hand me his discs." Tommy's discs. His most valuable items on the entire server, something that he and Dream have been fighting over since even before L'manburg was created. 

"Why are you doing this?" 

Dream shrugged. "It was Tommy's idea."

"No, I mean, why are you doing this? How hard is it just to give them their independence?" 

"You wouldn't understand."

"You're right I don't." My voice dropped down to a whisper without me realizing. "Please don't kill him Dream." I hated how pleading my voice was. 

"He brought this upon himself, darling." 

"He's a kid." I glared at him. "He's 16 Dream. He doesn't deserve to die, not yet." 

"You don't deserve anything in life, you have to earn it. If he wants to earn the chance to continue living, then he has to beat me." 

"That's not fair." 

"Oh, y/n..." He traced my jawline with his finger. "War isn't meant to be fair."

I took his hand away from my face. "Look, we both know that you're gonna win, okay? So please, just spare his life. Please, I am begging you Dream." 

"I find your little friendships adorable. The fact that you would all do whatever it takes for each other. How long until you realize that that's what makes you weak?" 

-Dream's POV-

I look at her face as she turns to look at me, taking in my words. She gave me a look that not even George could master in a million lifetimes. I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little bit intimidated by it. 

"Please just get out." Her normally confident voice was quiet and beaten, as if she already lost. I stood up and accepted her request. As I locked the door, I heard a sob and I froze. There were unmistakably quiet, little whimpers coming from inside the room. I had never seen this side of her before. I guess I just assumed that she would always be her sarcastic, feisty self. I sighed and walked downstairs, away from the crying girl. Let's just say that Tommy's not the only kid that shouldn't be tied up in the middle of a war.

But, all is fair in war.

-Y/n POV-

I'm not normally one to cry, but I couldn't escape the sob that escaped my lips as the door closed. And when the tears started falling down, they wouldn't stop. The thought of my best friend dying tomorrow stung my heart more than I ever thought was possible. A horrible thought crossed my mind. What if I didn't get to see him before... before he loses? I stood up suddenly and walked over to the window. It was still locked and it wouldn't budge when I tried to force it open. My eyes scanned the room, my gaze eventually falling onto the small wooden chair in the corner of the room. I walked over and picked it up. It was small but heavy and I looked over to the thick, glass window. There was a small possibility that this chair would be my way out. Well, half of it anyways. I still have to figure out how to get down, preferably without breaking my neck. I let out a breath and stood in front of the window, the chair in my hands. With all the strength I could muster, I threw the chair at the window. At first, I thought it didn't do anything, but as I walked closer, I saw a little crack starting to form in the middle of the glass. My heart started beating faster from the excitement, which sent a wave of adrenaline through my body. I threw the chair again, this time the crack more visible. On the third try, the crack had spread across the whole window, like a colorless vine. As I threw the chair one last time, the sudden rush of cold air hit my face and I shivered, both from excitement and the cold. I peered down through the window, my heart racing. Now I just have to figure out how to get down without dying. I went into the bathroom to look for supplies. I picked up Tubbo's jacket and put it on. I looked around the bathroom, opening cabinets and drawers but found nothing useful. In the end, I took the shower curtain, my old clothes and all of the towels.

I walked back to the bedroom, and looked through a set of drawers and my eyes lit up as I found something in the bottom drawer. My old boots. I smile as I put them on, knowing that they have just saved me the pain of running through the woods barefoot. I walked over to the bed and took the sheets, pillow cases and mattress covers. I also took the thin blanket from the window seat too. I started to tie all of the fabric together creating what I hoped to a be a long enough rope to get down safely. I tied one end of it to the bed post while the other was tied around my wrist. I just hoped that the rope didn't snap in half on my way down. However, I didn't realize how much noise I was making above all of my excitement. The door opened, revealing the very last person that I wanted to see. 

"What are you doing?" Dream growled. I took no time to answer and ran towards the window but Dream pulled on the makeshift rope, pulling me backwards towards him. I fell backwards, but my fall was cushioned by the bed. I tried to get up but Dream pinned me down, his ax terrifyingly close to my face. My breathing was too fast and my palms were sweaty. 

"What do you think you're doing?" His voice was low and dangerous. I didn't answer him as my eyes scanned for a way out of this, well, awkward position.

"Use your words, Y/n" He tilted my chin up with his ax, but I still refused to look at his stupid smiley mask. I noticed how the rope was tangled in his legs. 

"Still not gonna say anything? Are you just upset that I ruined your little escape plan?"

"No." I finally looked at him. "You didn't ruin it, you just made it a lot more complicated."

I didn't give him time react to my words as I rolled to the side as I pulled the rope, hard, causing him to fall onto the empty space on the bed that I was just in seconds ago. I wasted no time as I grabbed his ax that he had dropped. I buried it into his right leg and he screamed, whether it was from rage or pain, I couldn't tell. I ran to the window and looked back at him, just as I was about to jump out, I smirked at him. 

"Hurts like a bitch, doesn't it?"