Chapter Forty Five

"I think we should name our army." Tommy said.  

It had been around 10 in the morning when Tommy had dragged me out of bed to go with him to gather wood. I raised an eyebrow. 

"An army with four people?" I said, questioningly. Tommy shook his head. 

"With five people." He said. "Plus Dream." 

"Oh, right."

We were taking a break, the both of us sat leaning against the trunk of a tree, me just listening to Tommy ramble on about some random topics whilst thinking about how my life got so complicated. Even though he was right next to me, Tommy's voice sounded like it was miles away. I thought about Technoblade's return, I thought about me and Dream's messed up relationship, I thought about my brother who knew exactly how this would all turn out, I thought about Niki and Tubbo in Manburg and I thought about Fundy's betrayal to us. And I thought about how fucked up this all was. 

"Pogtopia." Tommy said, next to me. I turned to look at him, face blank. 

"What?"

"The name of our army!" Tommy said, impatiently. "Pogtopia." 

I considered it. "It's not a bad name. I like it." 

"Right?" Tommy exclaimed happily, eyes glistening. He stared into space. "Pogtopia." He said dreamily, the syllables just rolling off his tongue. I just smiled, shaking my head. It was good to know that Tommy would never change. 

I looked at where the sun was, nearly at it's peak in the sky. I suddenly turned to Tommy. 

"Shit." I said. Tommy turned to look at me quizzically. "Isn't it your turn to meet Dream at noon today?" 

Tommy jumped up. "Shit. I totally forgot." He hurriedly grabbed his things and ran off in the direction of the SMP. I watched the back of his retreating figure and sighed, continuing our mission to get wood. I had nearly two full stacks of oak logs (I had absolutely refused to get the birch) when I heard footsteps approach behind me. Not the loud stomping that indicated that Tommy was nearby, nor the heavy steps that Wilbur takes. A careful, light tread that I knew too well. I sighed, dropping my ax to my side and turning around. 

"What do you want?" I asked, crossing my arms. Technoblade just stood there, his netherite sword hanging onto his belt, under his cloak. 

"Just getting to know the area." He said simply. When it became clear that he wasn't going to say anything else, I turned back around and continued cutting down the tree. I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes when I heard him walk up next to me. 

"You kept it?" He said. I raised my head to look at him and saw him pointing to my diamond ax. I swung another hit at the tree, before it finally fell to the forest floor. 

"Of course I did." I said, my voice softer than I had intended it to. He held my gaze for a few moments before I pulled away, going to collect the wood. I could still feel his eyes on me. I turned around, facing him. 

"Are you just gonna stand there, or are you gonna help?" I said, leaning against a tree. Techno sighed and pulled out his ax and started hacking away at a nearby tree. An uneasy silence, tension so thick that you could cut it with a knife, hung between the two of us. A silence, carrying all of our unanswered questions that neither of us dared to ask one another out loud, a silence that taunted us with years worth of memories. I couldn't make out what he was feeling from his expression, which was as silent as his voice. I looked down at the diamond ax in my hands. A souvenir, a token, from the night of our first kiss. A memory that I knew for certain had not left neither of our brains. I swung my ax into the tree with an unnecessary large amount of force and turned to look at him. 

"I'm sorry." I said. "I'm sorry that I left you. But I saw what was underneath the surface and I didn't like it and so I ran. But, to be honest, I'm no better than you. I took the life of nearly everyone in that village, just so I could escape you. And those who survived would have to deal with a lifetime of trauma that I had put them through. And, I know it hurts you to look at me. I can see it in your eyes. And I'm sorry and, I know you might not believe me, but once upon a time, I truly did love you." 

He didn't answer, for I didn't say it out loud.

I wished that I could but it would all just be another lie because I wasn't sorry. I wasn't sorry that I had gotten my freedom. And, even if I was, I sure was hell wasn't going to admit it out loud. I just carried on gathering wood. And all that time, the silence hung over us, threatening to drown us. It was so thick that I didn't even hear Technoblade at first when he spoke. I looked up, blinking. 

"What?"

"I said I think that's enough wood for now." He repeated, but not in an impatient way, like I was used to hearing from Tommy. I looked over at my bag and saw it full to the brim with wooden logs. 

"Yeah, I think you may be right." I said, trying to fake a laugh in an attempt to lighten the mood. Technoblade did not even smile. Well, tough crowd today, I thought. I cleared my throat. 

"Well, I think that Tommy should be back at the cave now." I said, trying to make conversation. "Or perhaps we should start calling it Pogtopia." I said, laughing. Technoblade looked at me, raising an eyebrow. 

"Pogtopia?" He said, questioningly. I shrugged, holding my hands up. 

"Hey, Tommy made the name up." I said defensively. I considered it for a moment, before adding, "Although, I've got to admit, it is a kickass name." I punched his arm playfully and he tried to keep his face expressionless, but his mouth betrayed him by curling into a small smile.  

"Yeah, whatever." He said, rolling his eyes. 

"Oh, come on, you've got to agree, it is." I said, laughing. 

Technoblade sighed. "It's alright, considering Tommy made it up." He said finally. I raised an eyebrow. 

"You just don't want to admit it." I said, shaking my head.

"Whatever." He repeated. We talked all the way back to Pogtopia, an unspoken agreement between us deciding not to talk about our history right now. We both grew tense when it was subtly hinted and we carefully danced around the topic. We entered Pogtopia and we both made our way down to the ravine, since no one was in the main cave. I was surprised to see that there were now wooden steps going down in to the ravine and in the wall, someone had carved out a little room with a wooden table where Wilbur, Tommy and someone else were sat around. Even with their back to me, I knew who it was from the messy brown hair and L'manburg jacket. 

"Tubbo?" I said, not noticing the smile that appeared on my face. Someone else walked into into the room behind me and without turning around I could tell who it was by the sound of their footsteps. 

"Dream." I said, turning around.