Chapter Seventy five

Guys... last chapter...

- Y/n's POV -

I watched in horror as I watched the explosions from afar. Bricks, dirt, pieces of buildings were launched into the air but the worst bit of it all was hearing the screams of my friends from down below. Tears spiked the corner of my eyes and I closed them, not being able to look at the destruction any longer.

Wilbur had done it. He had done the thing that he had been always meaning to do ever since we got kicked out of Manburg. 

"My L'manburg!" Wilbur was shouting but he seemed so far away. "My unfinished symphony, forever unfinished..." His voice trailed off as tears were rolling down his face.

"Oh my god..." Philza said, horrified. He clearly didn't expect Wilbur to actually go through with it. 

"Kill me Phil." Wilbur said. At first I though I misheard him but then he said it again, louder. "Kill me! Kill me Philza!" He took Phil's sword which was hanging from his belt and thrusted it into his hands. "Kill me Phil, please. Stab me with the sword Phil!" 

"I-" Phil seemed hesitant. I looked at him. He couldn't seriously be considering it, could he? 

"Look, I want you to Phil! Murder me!" Wilbur took Phil's hand which was holding the sword and pointed the blade right at his heart. "Look, even Y/n wants you to do it!" 

I shook my head. "No, don't-"

"KILL ME PHIL!" Wilbur was yelling now, completely out of his mind. His whole body was shaking and Phil seemed distraught. "KILL ME PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU PHIL!" 

Philza pulled his hand away from Wilbur. "You're my son!" 

"Look, Phil, just kill me, please." Wilbur's voice cracked slightly as he cried and my heart broke for him. 

"No." Phil said firmly. "No matter what you've done, I'm not going to kill you-"

Wilbur punched the wall in frustration, causing his knuckles to bleed. I watched as Phil flinched. 

"Phil, look, it's all gone! L'manburg - It's gone! Look how much work went into this and it's all gone!" Wilbur shouted. He walked back over to Phil. "Just do it, Phil! Kill me-"

The scream that came out of my mouth didn't even sound like me as I watched Philza drive the sword through Wilbur. Phil's face was also wet with tears and Wilbur let out a strangled sound. 

Adrenaline pumped blood through my ears as I gathered up all of my strength to heave myself over to Wilbur, who was bleeding out in Phil's arms. Phil lowered Wilbur's limp frame into my arms and I cried into him. 

"NO. No no no no no no-" I kept saying again and again. I couldn't believe it. "No, Wilbur, open your eyes." My hands were coated with both my blood and Wilbur's but I hung onto him as if my life depended on it.  

Wilbur opened his eyes slowly and grabbed my hand with his limp one. "It's too late, Y/n."

"Why?" I asked him quietly, my tears falling. "Why did you have to do it? Do you feel at peace now?" 

"I would feel more at peace if you promise me one thing." Wilbur's words were slurring. He turned his head to look at the destruction that he had caused and then turned back to face me. And, for a moment, I caught a glimpse of the old Wilbur in his eyes. 

"What is it?" I asked, my voice shaking. 

"Promise me that you'll be better than I was." Wilbur whispered. "Do better than me."